View topic - GPU Rendering

GPU Rendering

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

GPU Rendering

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:31 am

Hi everyone,

it was a longer time I used Yafaray last time so I decided to install the BETA 3.0 and check the progress but I could not say I see any but ... still this renderer generates SUPERB results and in fact when compared to other ones when using the CPU its also a PRETTY FAST!

The only thing I wanna ask is if there will be a GPU version in a future of it its planned because I tried many renderers with Blender (Cycles is great on GPU and also VRay, CPU tried Corona, both tried with LuxRender when possible etc.) but YafaRay has also good results and when thinking of about speeding-up 5x times or so using GPU ... YEP, Yafa could surprise all of us!

One way or another THX MUCH for this astonishing renderer!

Sincerely, Jan
janmatys

Re: GPU Rendering

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello, Jan.

Thank you for your comments! I'm very glad you like the renderer.

I agree GPU would be nice, but (always a but) it would require a full rewrite of the renderer, pretty much it would be a new renderer altogether.

Also, we would need to have several cards to test, etc, and fight with the drivers, bugs, manufacturers, etc. Basically we don't have the resources to do all that.

For now I'm trying to improve the renderer we have rather than starting a huge project that might never be completed and turn into vapourware...

In any case we will keep trying to improve and, if we can, accelerate YafaRay in the future!
David Bluecame

Re: GPU Rendering

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:46 pm

Also, there are many improvements in Beta 3.0.0, for example multithread photon mapping generation, ability to save the internal Film so you can load and continue sampling later, ability to add samples in different PCs and combine the result Films later to reduce noise using "offline multicomputing", and many more... Even if YafaRay is not strictly faster, the workflows can be much faster now if need, I believe.
David Bluecame

Return to News & Discussion