View topic - Sppm revamp?

Sppm revamp?

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Sppm revamp?

Post Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi all,

Today I've read this about progressive rendering, and I'm guessing that although this is not adaptive progressive rendering, it's interesting to consider the implementation of an adaptive progressive render to speed up renders and get immediate feedback of the scene. Also a base for a viewport render like blender internal's or cycles.

The most similar we have is the sppm. But if you make some renders with it, you will notice the splotches and clouds due the lack of interpolation like final gathering. A pity because it's really fast cleaning noise and alias.

http://www.scratchapixel.com/old/lessons/3d-advanced-lessons/adaptive-progressive-refinement-rendering/technique-description/

What I suggest is to update sppm to be the other main yafary render engine. Now it seems that photon shooting is multithreaded.

What do you think?

Regards
surena

Re: Sppm revamp?

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 am

There is already a feature request in the bugtracker which is about using final gather on top of sppm. If you read Stochastic progressive photon mapping papers you will find that is a method mainly intended for solving problems in the specular reflection domain.

http://www.yafaray.org/node/669
Samo

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks, I've seen it. David asks for a sample of the sppm problems. Do you have any?
surena

Post Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:37 am

surena wrote:Thanks, I've seen it. David asks for a sample of the sppm problems. Do you have any?

Sorry I have not had time to prepare scenes about it, it is a todo item.
Samo

Return to News & Discussion