View topic - Materials & Texturing UI redesign proposal

Materials & Texturing UI redesign proposal

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Do you like my proposal? Read the proposal first !

Yes I prefer it over the current workflow
78%
No I prefer the current system
No votes
Other (explain)
22%

Total votes : 9

Materials & Texturing UI redesign proposal

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi there

I have been working on a redesign of the material and texturing UI in the Blender 2.5 exporter. Since Blender developers are starting to work on the serious usability issues of the current panels, instead of copying whatever solution Blender developers might implement, I have designed a solution using YafaRay point of view. You can find it in the link below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kZv ... t?hl=en_US

I am still working on the document adding more information here and there. I would like to hear your opinion on this matter. Thanks for your input.
Samo

Re: Materials & Texturing UI redesign proposal

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:30 am

I chose 'other', because if the internal Yafa representation of shading is node based, we should move to a node workflow and entirely leave this linear "stacked" Blender type of working with cluttered panels & multiple tabs. I use Octane where everything (not only shading) is node-based and I can say that working with nodes is much more flexible, powerful, intuitive & fun.

That is of course dependant on the possibility of implementation - if the python API will allow the creation of a custom node shading pipeline. I don't know if this is planned / for when it is planned, but if it might happen in the near future, then maybe is better to wait and do the migration without the "middle" step proposed here.

If there won't be any support for a customised node pipeline in Blender or if such support is too far away, then I'm all for the new solution proposed here.
_Mo_

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Yes, yes, yes !

I think some people will complain, mostly new users, that it is confusing because it isn't the same as Blender, but it makes so much more sense. I have been getting irritated using 2.59, because I have to keep clicking between the textures and materials panels. I suppose I could simply rearrange my ui, but anyway, I am in favour.

It will make it quicker and easier to set up accurate and good looking materials, as well as hopefully giving more of a hint about the power of Yafaray.
stoneage

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:15 pm

I think that all changes that will let Yafaray's capabilities grow are great. I dont think that changes to the UI would be to confusing (the step between blender 2.49 and 2.5x was'nt soo extreme either) In the end even if it takes a little to get along it will be better.
But on the other hand the current system just in it's design of the UI is fine for me, and I think there is no hurry to change it that fast.

P.S.: The 64-bit Version for 2.5 is brilliant runs excellent on my 8core machine and 32 Gb RAM ;)
projecteagleeye

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 am

For the YafaRay project, waiting for blender developers for things to happen has meant many times waiting for years.
Samo

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks for your input. The blend material proposal has been added to the document.
Samo

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 pm

I agree with _Mo_
A Node based setup would be the best like Cycles or Octane do.
Malo

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:06 am

I agree with node based material that is very powerful but can we implement a material repository accessible from yafaray exporter panel to be able to download ready to use materials/textures and eventually share them? We need some kind of web service maybe using the same yafaray forum account to share materials/textures.
I think this could be very usefull for newbie users but also for experienced ones because they are not going to waste time reinventing every time the wheel.

Cheers,
Gabriele
gabriele.ferreri

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:16 pm

My proposal is a stop-gap measure, since we can be waiting for months even years before Blender developers grant access to external engines to the nodes editor. These changes are neede IMO, since in the current state the texturing workflow is awful and the blend material is right down unusable, if textures are used to blend materials. In the current state it is also difficult to create a good materials library.
Samo

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Personally, I think we should find the right level interaction between Blender and maintain our own interfaces (render view, view materials, etc. ..), and integrate each software (Blender, XSI, Sketchup ..), geometry, animation, particles, etc. ..
Integration = dependence. Dependence = expect others to do something for us. In addition to "define" our expansion.
Greetings..
povmaniaco

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 pm

If you do it, when did you think we could use it?
Is this another step for a 0.1.2 Stable version or more something for 0.1.3?
Malo

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 am

gabriele.ferreri wrote:I agree with node based material that is very powerful but can we implement a material repository accessible from yafaray exporter panel to be able to download ready to use materials/textures and eventually share them? We need some kind of web service maybe using the same yafaray forum account to share materials/textures.
I think this could be very usefull for newbie users but also for experienced ones because they are not going to waste time reinventing every time the wheel.

Cheers,
Gabriele

This could be great.
It means another level of open source community.
Every user producing content and contributing or adding more value to the work of the coders team.
I don't know how to code but I can be usefull in other sorts of work.
Manuel_Ramos

Return to News & Discussion