View topic - 2011 summer contest input

2011 summer contest input

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Choose which subject you would like the contest to be about

Poll ended at Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Insectum
28%
Moebius' worlds
6%
Mad Science
19%
Hyperrealism - Lost Childhood
28%
Pre-Wright Flying Machines
16%
Animation - Caustic Magic
3%

Total votes : 32

2011 summer contest input

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi there,

Summer is here again and we would like to organise a new edition of the annual contest. Last year we had very interesting entries you can check in this gallery.

We would like to hear you opinions about this year's edition: what the contest should be about; what rules we should keep from previous editions and the ones we should change. We would like to hear your opinions about the prizes too, whether the winner should take it all or if the second and third should get something too.

I have added a poll for choosing the contest subject. Everyone may select up to 2 options. The poll will run for a week. Please vote.

A brief explanation about the subjects proposed in the poll above:

• Insectum. It would consist mainly in depicting an insect in a close-up render, with an appropiate enviroment. Example: http://www.yafaray.org/gallery?g2_itemId=1906
  • Moebius' worlds. It would consist in modelling and rendering a scene inspired on the sci-fi work of the famous comic artist Jean Henri Gaston Giraud, a.k.a Moebius. More info: http://www.google.es/search?q=moebius
  • Mad Science. It would consist in depicting either a laboratory of a mad scientist, one of its creations or the scientist himself.
  • Hyperrealism - Lost Childhood. It would consist in depicting a toy or a group of toys from your childhood with maximum realism while keeping artistic qualities.
  • Pre-Wright Flying Machines. There is an ample catalogue of heavier-than-air pre-wright flying machines, from Leonardo's inventions till gliders that flew at the beginning of the 20th century. The task would be depicting one of those machines or inventing one of your own, placed in a suitable enviroment.
  • Animation - Caustic Magic. This is a short film project that would consist mainly in playing with caustic effects.

This is our proposal for the contest rules:

Timeline
The contest runs from July 4 to August the 31 st. 0:00 GMT.

Prizes
The winners will be selected by a jury composed of members of the YafaRay Team. Prizes consist in:
  • A CG-education book or DVD from Amazon or alternatively an item from the Blender e-shop for the first, second and third place winners.
  • There will be a Special mention category for high-quality works.
  • All entries reasonably finished and deemed good enough will be included in the Contest Gallery.

Rules
  • The final render could consis in a sigle render pass or a post-process and composition of different YafaRay render passes. Tone mapping is allowed as well.
  • Final render minimun resolution must be 1024 x 1280 portrait or 1280 x 1024 landscape, in PNG format.
  • Every contestant must open his/her own work in progress thread in the YafaRay Annual Contest 2011 forum. The last image posted on everyone's thread will be the one considered by the jury for the voting process.
  • On August 1 (halfway the contest), to be considered and listed for the winners' places, contestants should have already posted in his/her own WIP thread at least 3 renders or 3D viewport screenshots showing significative progress. At that point, the jury would clarify which contestants will qualify for the winners' places.
  • 'Out of Contest' participation is allowed, as long as you stick to one of the subjects proposed in the poll above. These participations are not considered for the winners' places, though they could be included in the Special Mentions category. These participations will be included in the Contest Gallery too if they are reasonably finished and are deemed good enough.
Samo

Re: 2011 summer contest input

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Some theme suggestions:-

• 'Natural Conditions'

• 'Normal Service'

I think the rules are working well, and educational prizes are a good thing. I really only enter when I have an idea, rather than to win a prize, but I think something should be on offer to add interest.
stoneage

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 am

I think that 2nd and 3rd should get something too, maybe just something symbolic / of smaller value. The prize is not the main goal here, so this contest should not be viewed as competing for prizes, but more as rewarding the competitors type of thinking. :) In this regard multiple prizes that go to the first 3, are a better choice, IMO.

The last (winter) competition resolution requirements (4megapixel) was a bit too high.

For the theme selection, users should post ideas (and description what they mean) in this thread and then a poll should be created.
_Mo_

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi there

Look at the first message in this thread. I have added a poll for choosing a contest subject, everyone may select up to 2 options. The poll will run for a week. Please vote.

This is my proposal for the contest rules:

Timeline
The contest runs from July 4 to August the 31 st. 0:00 GMT.

Prize
The winners will be selected by a jury composed of the YafaRay Team. Prizes consist in:
  • A CG-education book or DVD from Amazon or alternatively an item from the Blender e-shop for the first, second and third place winners.

Rules
  • The final render could consis in a sigle render pass or a post-process and composition of different YafaRay render passes. Tone mapping is allowed as well.
  • Final render minimun resolution must be 1024 x 1280 portrait or 1280 x 1024 landscape, in PNG format.
  • Every contestant must open his/her own Work in progress thread in the YafaRay Annual Contest 2011 forum. The last image posted in everyone's thread will be the one considered by the jury for the voting process.
Samo

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

I have added a brief explanation about the subjects proposed, see first message. Regards.
Samo

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:14 pm

More votes please
Samo

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Samo, this topics are all very interesting and special (except the insects, which I hope it wont win :) )

I hope you'll keep (some of) the looser topics for the next competition.
_Mo_

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:42 am

Guys. please vote some more... :)
_Mo_

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:25 am

Yeah, i also hope that the insect topic won't win :wink: !
I hadn't the chance to try to get involved into this project, so this would be my first.
Great program guys! i´ve been using it for the past year at my work, but unfortunaly i could n´t show any results. :D
cryo

Post Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:15 am

We have added two rules which are:

• On August 1 (halfway the contest), to be considered and listed for the final awards, contestants should have already posted in his/her own WIP thread at least 3 renders or 3D viewport screenshots showing significative progress. At that point, the jury would clarify which contestants will qualify for the final awards.
  • 'Out of Contest' participation is allowed, as long as you stick to one of the subjects proposed in the poll above. These participations are not considered for the final awards, though they could be included in the Special Mentions category. These participations will be included in the final contest gallery if they are deemed good enough.
Samo

Post Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:22 am

The YafaRay team will decide the contest subject between the most voted subjects if there is a draw on Sunday evening. Thank you for your votes.
Samo

Post Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:01 pm

hi there

We have had to toss a coin to decide the result. The result has been:
'Insectum'
Samo

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:19 pm

convexion wrote:Are the entries locked down until the contest is over?

No you can enter whenever you want. However, if you want to be considered for the winners positions, be sure you get something modelled before August 1.

Here you have the contest rules :
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... =29&t=4192
Samo

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 pm

convexion wrote:I mean as far as being viewed by the public. It would be cool to have a user vote or something to that effect.

All the entries can be seen on this forum.
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... m.php?f=29

we can not post them on a gallery untill the contest is finished.
Samo

Return to News & Discussion