View topic - MITSUBA

MITSUBA

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

MITSUBA

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:54 pm

What do you think about new MITSUBA incomming renderer....?
I made some tests, but this result took /about 3500x1500px, PATHTRACING 256samples , 128samples AA CAtmull Rom/ about 40 minutes...Thats insane short rendertime for pathtracing without GPU acceleration....
I expect your replys....
Attachments
big daddy long_pp.jpg

www.hangardesign.ic.cz  www.hangardesign.wordpress.com /use google translate

HANGAR

Re: MITSUBA

Post Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 pm

HANGAR wrote:What do you think about new MITSUBA incomming renderer....?
I made some tests, but this result took /about 3500x1500px, PATHTRACING 256samples , 128samples AA CAtmull Rom/ about 40 minutes...Thats insane short rendertime for pathtracing without GPU acceleration....
I expect your replys....

I tried Mitsuba a week ago and it's not impressive. You can get the same (and in some cases even faster) results with yafaray. For Pathtracing with the same number of samples per path and/or samples per pixel there is no difference in speed, same thing for other algorithms. For IrrCache with the same settings as yafaray, Mitsuba is a little slower and still have the same issues (artifacts) so there is no improvement. I didn't tried openCL because my video card.
Now the only aspect of Mitsuba that really catched my attention was the number of parameters available and probably more friendly interface, something I really want to see in yafaray IrrCach GSOC.

EDIT: the sampling in Mitsuba is actually faster but I still get slower render times or more noise in some cases (not always) with Mitsuba-Adaptive integration and I'm not sure that the parameters are equivalent to yafaray in a direct way.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Return to News & Discussion