View topic - Google Code-In. Input needed.

Google Code-In. Input needed.

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Google Code-In. Input needed.

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:49 pm

The YafaRay project has been invited to participate in Google Code-in, Google's contest to introduce pre-university students to the many kinds of contributions that make open source software development possible, starting on November 22, 2010.

Students are invited worldwide to produce a variety of open source code, documentation, training materials and user experience research for the organizations participating. These tasks include:

1. Code: Tasks related to writing or refactoring code
2. Documentation: Tasks related to creating/editing documents
3. Outreach: Tasks related to community management and outreach/marketing
4. Quality Assurance: Tasks related to testing and ensuring code is of high quality
5. Research: Tasks related to studying a problem and recommending solutions
6. Training: Tasks related to helping others learn more
7. Translation: Tasks related to localization
8. User Interface: Tasks related to user experience research or user interface design and interaction

We need to put an ideas page up, with proposals in all of the 8 categories sorted by difficulty level. We would like to have your input, whatever you think is good for the YafaRay project at this point. Take into account that this program is addressed to pre-university students aged between 13 and 18, so task proposed should be not too difficult to complete.

In many countries there are students getting vocational training on computers-related sciences, many of them could make use of this program. Also this option could be intesting for under-age YafaRay users who wish to collaborate.

Thanks in advance for your input. Best regards.
Samo

Re: Google Code-In. Input needed.

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:48 pm

(in progress)

1. Code:
Adding tonemapping filters to the QT windows

2. Documentation:
A good getting started tutorial, to be included in YafaRay installs.

3. Outreach:

4. Quality Assurance:

5. Research:
YafaRay Community general survey

6. Training:
Organising a Yafaray Day in your FOSS / Blender local users' group or school

7. Translation:

8. User Interface:
Tooltips for the Blender 2.5 exporter UI
Samo

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:30 pm

-add tonemapping filter to the Qt interface... pfstool filters are really easy to use: reinhard, pattanaik, mantiuk, drago and durand...
in console is something like this

"pfsin myimage.hdr | pfstmo_reinhard04 -s 0.5 | pfsout myomage.png"

- add Defocus to Qt GUI, something like Focus Blur GIMP filter or Defocus Node in Blender. Now yafaray can render Zdepth as a separate pass so add DOF effect in post pro from Qtgui could be really helpfull and time saving as an alternative to the DOF option in camera settings

- Add Chromatic Aberration filter to QtGUI. similar to GIMP filter or Lens Distortion Node in Blender using Zdepth pass

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

condar

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 am

I second what condar said. Useful ideas :)

Some of those tasks are too difficult for the targeted age of participants - like "code quality assurance".
_Mo_

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it a GSoC for young students?
So for the first category, could these people work on the implementation of the last GSoC projects or should it be different?
bupla

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Ideas

procedural preview in the Blender 2.5 exporter UI
material preview windows in the Blender 2.5 exporter UI\
Samo

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:22 pm

bupla wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it a GSoC for young students?
So for the first category, could these people work on the implementation of the last GSoC projects or should it be different?

could it be, but I do not think they will be able to implement them at source code level, but they can help to improve how they are implemented in the exporter UI in Blender, and with documentation (which is not done due to lack of time), betatesting, etc
Samo

Post Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 pm

I am no coder and have not been able to contribute to yafaray that way at all. However I feel as thought I have made a small contribution to the community by doing (somewhat) rigorous experimentation with the renderer about AA strategies (see link at bottom). This contributed to something of a change of the preferred setup and sped up many people's render

I feel as though these students could do similar research by using the renderer a lot under controlled circumstance and could lead to many simple changes that can improve yafaray either at the code level or by educating users, or even finding minor bugs that are slowing renders.

By doing this kind of thing I learned a lot about how to get very consistent render times and qualities in order to make good comparisons which I would by happy to pass on to anyone.

link to a post I made using this kind of experimentation:
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2203
loh

Post Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:18 am

hi

please keep the proposals coming, we would like to have a nice list of small tasks ready for the next week.

Tasks:

Translating into another language (up to the student) the two most important documents in the yafaray guide, which are "lighting methods" and "rendering settings". (one task each)

Another task could be creating a basic shader database.
Samo

Post Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:36 am

Develop a set of render presets that are useful in the most common scenarios which allow a simple trade off between quality and speed.
jrboddie1

Post Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:44 pm

Create a 'Shadow Only' material?
stoneage

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:11 am

Rendering blocks from image center - or defining render preview area.
JoseConseco

Post Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 am

Two more.
1. Adding spherical texture (as far as I know not supported now) - cool for eg mixing 2 shaders when mapped to normal. Allows to have effects like - center of material could be transparent and edges -mirror.
6. Training - eg videos on youtube, how setup optimal AA or something
JoseConseco

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi there

I'm sorry guys but at the end I didn't have enough time to prepare the paperwork to get us in the program. Besides, I'm a bit skeptic about whether it will be able to achieve its goals.

The problem revolves around the same issue than the GSoC program, which is that students get money for something others are doing for free. When there is no longer this economical incentive, the collaboration stops. This has happened already to us with Google Summer of Code, and this will change how we approach GSOC the next year.

Anyway I would like to ask you guys for a way of organising this activity ourselves, but with changes respect to the Google Code-In program:

• First I would like to propose that there would be a reward to the students finalising a task. This reward should be educative stuff for instance, as we do with the Annual Contest for YafaRay Artistas. No money should be ever involved.
  • Secondly, I would like to propose circumscribing it to development tasks, which is our most urgent need at the moment.
  • Third, any student is allowed to participate, regardless of the age (0-99). It would be great if we can somehow link students participating in our own coding contest with the later Google Summer of Code program, in the sense that maybe university students partipating in our coding contest could later increase their chances to participate in GSoC with us.

What do you thing of this idea? what kind of non-monetary reward can we use for our own coding contest? How can we call this contest? A motto anyone?
Samo

Return to News & Discussion