View topic - Question regarding copyrights

Question regarding copyrights

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Question regarding copyrights

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm still fairly new to 3D and art. I've taken courses in art, but still cannot draw, so I turned to 3D modelling to express my thoughts.

Anyways, if I start posting my creations on the net like;the Yafaray forum, how can I prevent others from either; A-stealing my designs, and B-stealing my artwork?

Is it automatically copyrighted?

p.s.
Is Deviant art the best place to sell your stuff?

Thanks.
DaffyDuck

Re: Question regarding copyrights

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:17 am

Your work is automatically protected by copyright, depending on where you live in the world. However copyright only protects the actual assets that you create, for example if you write a story or take a photo, copyright only protects the words and the pixels, it does not protect the ideas or the forms.

So, it doesn’t really matter where you share you content, in the end, if you can protect your own identity, that is what is most important. Social websites like Flickr and Deviantart are there to help you share your content and also to show that you are the creator of that work.

However, if you have the next million dollar idea, don’t expect copyright to protect it. It’s best to keep good ideas to yourself and your close friends and family.
Felix Lorsignol
http://ro.boti.ca
florsignol

Re: Question regarding copyrights

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:52 am

DaffyDuck wrote:(...) how can I prevent others from either; A-stealing my designs, and B-stealing my artwork?(...)

Actually it's impossible to prevent stealing your artwork, if you plan to upload images into the Internet. There is always some stupid people who just copy images from galleries and use them in the blogs, forums, even put in other galleries as their own images.. bastards :?
[Hardware] | Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | GeForce 9600GT
[Software] | Win XP SP3 | Blender 2.49 | Yafaray 0.1.1
xelptic

Return to News & Discussion