View topic - Material library??

Material library??

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Material library??

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi all!!

I've been looking for examples of materials and its presets for some days. In this forum I found some very good, like those in this posts:
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1435

So the question is: why isn't there a good material library in this site?? I think it wouldn't be very difficult to create that option in the download section.

This is only an idea. I think this could be a great help for that users who is starting with Yafaray and it would be a good way to learn faster for them.

In my search I also found this (not sure about where...): http://www.yafaray.org/node/13
In the point "6. Users' interaction", it's written just what I'm saying, so maybe you are alredy working on that...

Greetings!!
Azrael^^

Re: Material library??

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

My observations:

Since such a library would and should be created by us - users - the answer to why there's not a material library is maybe that everybody just goes on to create their own materials, learn and experiment by themselves.

There's also the question of textures involved in the creation of more complex materials. Some texture providers, like CGTextures don't allow distribution of their textures (modified or not) in any way, so such a library should contain only procedural materials and created textures. Also people are reluctant to share their hard-made textures.

For simple materials I don't think there's the need for an extensive library, since basic materials are easy to make, maybe a page with some guidelines and a few samples? Ofcourse the documentation already has some valuable info on this subject.
_Mo_

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes a materials library is needed, for some specific materials that need some thought. Anyway, there are currently two problems, first of all a complete good-quality library is not going to happen in a free collaborative but small enviroment like we have in this site, so some team of experts will have to assemble it. Second, the lack of a nodes editor is such a serious drawback that it isn't even funny, seriously the current workflow has to go.
Samo

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 am

A material library for Yafaray would be really nice. I like to use Yafaray for product visualisation, and I haven't found a good workflow for saving materials so that I can reuse them later on.

One of the issues in my opinion is that there isn't really an interface for a material library in Blender either. Right now I think, materials parameters are saved in custom data blocks linked with the blender materials. But the thing is, yafaray materials behave differently than blender materials. And i think they should be distributed differently as well. For example, If I want to get a blender material, I have to load the blend file with that material and link the material datablock. I don't think this is a very elegant solution.

One of the GSoC project proposals is a material node editor. What if we could easily 'load' XML snippets with the material data via the Yafaray plugin or this node editor? Later on, official yafaray packages could come bundled with these premade materials....?
Felix Lorsignol
http://ro.boti.ca
florsignol

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:41 am

The Yafaray material settings are saved along with the .blend file, so Yafaray 'material libraries' can be handled the same way as Blender 'material libraries'.

If Yafaray will implement support for custom shaders trough OSL (which is also an idea for GSoC, and I sincerely hope it will), then some node editor will be probably needed, for those who cant/wont write code by hand.
_Mo_

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm

_Mo_ wrote:My observations:

Since such a library would and should be created by us - users - the answer to why there's not a material library is maybe that everybody just goes on to create their own materials, learn and experiment by themselves.

There's also the question of textures involved in the creation of more complex materials. Some texture providers, like CGTextures don't allow distribution of their textures (modified or not) in any way, so such a library should contain only procedural materials and created textures. Also people are reluctant to share their hard-made textures.

For simple materials I don't think there's the need for an extensive library, since basic materials are easy to make, maybe a page with some guidelines and a few samples? Ofcourse the documentation already has some valuable info on this subject.

Ok.
No problem with licencing good specular bump and difuse textures.
Arroway gave it allready free for personal use at http://www.3dxo.com/list/51/1.htm
Great quality for free.
When i find some time i ll post some materials with this fantastic textures.
But also anyone can do it.
Manuel_Ramos

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:35 pm

Samo wrote:Yes a materials library is needed, for some specific materials that need some thought. Anyway, there are currently two problems, first of all a complete good-quality library is not going to happen in a free collaborative but small enviroment like we have in this site, so some team of experts will have to assemble it. Second, the lack of a nodes editor is such a serious drawback that it isn't even funny, seriously the current workflow has to go.

I tottally agree, but if we find a good and free texture library that problem is much smaller...
Manuel_Ramos

Return to News & Discussion