View topic - GSOC 2010

GSOC 2010

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

GSOC 2010

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:30 pm

This year we are going to try (again) to get Yafaray into the GSOC program.

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is an annual program, held from May to August , in which Google awards stipends to students who successfully complete a requested free software / open-source coding project during the summer. The program is open to students aged 18 or over.

You can find more information about GSoC here.

To apply for GSoC, we must put together an Ideas Page, where we explain a bit which projects could be useful for YafaRay.

This is our ideas page:
http://www.yafaray.org/development/docu ... /GSOCideas

We would like to have your input on good ideas for a GSoC project. In general, when making a suggestion you should take into account that:
  • Projects should take three good months of work, so we take full benefit from this program.
  • You can suggest a single big task or a number of task grouped under the same paragraph.
  • Ideas can be recycled for the next year, if they are not acomplished
  • GSoC should become an oportunity for us, we need well-thought, original and feasible ideas
  • Full GPU raytracing is not possible for YafaRay atm, the program would need to be rewritten everywhere. Anyway we have included an Idea about GPU raytracing on the list.

We are looking for students and mentors for the projects listed in our ideas page.

We are also interested in prospective students and mentors' input, please use this space to express your opinions and to talk about your areas of interest.

GSoC 2010 timeline:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/sho ... s#timeline
Samo

Re: GSOC Ideas Page

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Good !, let's go

I have worked with yafaray on commercial projects those last 5 months, mainly archviz, it was a really good experience, and I think that yafaray has all the features I need and it's time to make it more productive by improving those points:

1- a true network distributed bucket rendering that works on LAN
2- photon cache
3- geometry export optimization (I think that Darktide is working on this):
*that support object instances
*(after the first export); re-exports only modified objects (useful for animation and render tests)
*supporting external proxies
4-integrate yafaray with blender 2.5(this needs a final render API I guess)

that's all :D
eMirage

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 pm

GSoC 2010 has been unnoficially annouced, here:
http://bit.ly/9hFpcb
Samo

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Hello Samo,

How about a raytraced motion blur implementation ?
umxprime

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi everyone !

The first i want to thank YafaRay developers for this great render.

I think not a bad beat would add check material transparency options in AO settings,
or add this options in local material settings for individual check - affect from AO.

Best regards !

PS. Sorry my bad english
3D_Animator

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:29 am

3D_Animator wrote:Hi everyone !

The first i want to thank YafaRay developers for this great render.

I think not a bad beat would add check material transparency options in AO settings,
or add this options in local material settings for individual check - affect from AO.

Best regards !

PS. Sorry my bad english

Can you report this in the bugtracker please?
Samo

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:40 pm

No problem.
Thank you Samo !
3D_Animator

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 am

I vote for Blender 2.5 integration (it's a must have) and for support for OSL + material editor (very powerful).

And since none of these are labeled hard or very hard, it sounds like a realistic option. :)
_Mo_

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

I have added motion blur to the ideas page, and I am probably going to add 'coding an exporter to a mainstream 3D or CAD application' in the coming days.
Samo

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Samo wrote:I am probably going to add 'coding an exporter to a mainstream 3D or CAD application' in the coming days.

I think SketchUp might be a nice option. It has a lot of users in the architectural world (and I have always found Yafaray a well suited motor render for architectural visualization) and the use of SketchUp with render motors (like Vray) is not so extended as 3D Max or Rhino with Vray.

AutoCad would be also a nice choice. I think I´ve never know anyone rendering directly with it.
Arkinauta

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Arkinauta wrote:AutoCad would be also a nice choice. I think I´ve never know anyone rendering directly with it.

It's not possible I'm afraid, there is no API to access AutoCad solid entities, at least legally.
Samo

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 pm

what about solid works then? That would open yafaray up to a lot of scientific visualization.
loh

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:26 pm

loh wrote:what about solid works then? That would open yafaray up to a lot of scientific visualization.

Yes something like that, as long as the solid entities are fully accesible through an extension language, and it can be used as well to export the scene.
Samo

Re: GSOC 2010

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 pm

We would like to inform students who wish to work with us that we are going to use an application template, you can find more information here:

http://www.yafaray.org/development/docu ... pptemplate
Samo

Re: GSOC 2010

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Samo

Next

Return to News & Discussion