View topic - documenting the pits a user could fall into?

documenting the pits a user could fall into?

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

documenting the pits a user could fall into?

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:53 am

i have been using yafaray in its current version for one or two weeks now. i found the detailed documentation of very high standard compared to other open source projects i know. i also saw that - at least for me - there was a gap, between this basic documentation and what i needed to know in the end to successfully achieve the render results i was going for. it was nothing the support of the great community could not handle i might add.

so, depending on what the target user of yafaray should be, i am thinking if it is of interest to try to work out a "walkthrough" document or "modelling, texturing, lighting and render FAQ tips compilation" covering common pitfalls a user might run into.

i would expect this to be helpful for new users with not much time to experiment, allowing them so see the potential of yafaray (the users own potential in using yafaray as opposed to the great potential the great gallery images are showing).

i guess to start with a thread with these tips posted could be a good beginning and maybe later this could be worked into some type of documentation/helpfile/faq/walkthrough.

let me know what you think of this and also if i have just made a fool of myself because something like this exists already and i just did not find it :-)
lightning2911

Re: documenting the pits a user could fall into?

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:44 pm

The user guide explains the whole lot of features YafaRay is capable of.

Just a quick lineal reading won't take you more than half an hour, but it will give you a lot of clues about how YafaRay works. The user's guide is already a condensed explanation itself, we could not make it any shorter, yet we wanted to shed light on every possible aspect of YafaRay. It's structured and divided in such a way you don't have to wander through long articles to get to the point you're looking for.

Read the most important articles (Lighting methods, Rendering Settings, Materials). You don't need a shortened version, that's a poor excuse for a lazy attitude. Have a learning strategy. Print it if it easier for you.

If you want to be a better user, read it.
Samo

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:20 pm

i am afraid you did not understand me. the documentation yafaray has is great. not only does it exists (lots of other software projects - esp open source - don't even have this kind of condensed documentation) but it covers all the functionality of yafaray. but still: i printed all the documentations. i read all of it again and again. but the final information that helped me solve my actual problems were not in there. and i think they don't belong there.

one example: i did not understand how to make photon renderings lighter. i read the tutorial explaining all the different settings. the solution (increasing depth) that was presented to me in the forums is covered in the tutorial. but i was not able to transfer this information from the tutorial, probably because the image in the tutorial did not match what i was expecting for my rendering. the image in the forum convinced me!

other example: light sources should not touch or be close to surrounding geometry. i dont think this is stated somewhere.

i am just thinking that i might not be the only user, starting with yafaray, who needs these little tips to help him on the way to get good results in an admittedly wishful thinking short amount of time. but maybe it IS me and i am not patient enough. and maybe the forum and using its search engine is the solution to that.

i hope i have my explained my thoughts better this time :-)
lightning2911

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Yes, a FAQ section is needed. It's in the TODO list.
Samo

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Samo , i agree with @lightining .. i´m new user too and read all documentation and some question just not be solved. Maybe a FAQ could not be helpful to experients users but , im shure Yafaray have many and many new users by week, that need some quick examples to get some good results.maybe a test scene with different kind of light and rendering settings could help ( i did not found good tutorials on yafaray around net ...).Well it´s my point of view, i hope not be fool.rsrs!
lostined

Return to News & Discussion