View topic - YafaRay Association

YafaRay Association

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Re: YafaRay Association

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:08 am

What kind of vote would be done by active members, is it more oriented for developpers?

It has nothing to do with developers. It is explained in the association articles. I know, it is boring stuff, but please read them:
http://www.yafaray.org/node/238

Do you have an idea of the annual fee?

Nope, but my advice will be for it not to be too cheap or very expensive. IMO We don't need a lot of people inside the Association, we need really commited individuals willing to make the Association work and waste free time on its sometimes rather boring matters. A healthy associaltion will do good for this project in many ways. A non-working or conflictive association could be a disaster that sinks the whole project along.

Besides, people can collaborate as always or just donate some money once in a while. In fact if you look at the KDE reports, they raise more money through donations and special programs than through membership fees, despite the fact that they have about 170 active members.

Membership will be just another way to collaborate:
http://www.yafaray.org/community/getinvolved
Samo

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 am

It would be nice to support such a piece of art.

Janusz Tomczak (tjindy). Konin, Poland.

Cheers :)
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
tjindy

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:34 pm

tjindy wrote:It would be nice to support such a piece of art.

Janusz Tomczak (tjindy). Konin, Poland.

Cheers :)

Hi tjindy

Welcome. I have added you to the preliminary list. However, membership will be granted mostly to longtime Yafaray users, people who show a regular activity in the site and those who has collaborated with code or tutorials. You still have some months untill the Association is officially launched to post your works and interact with others in the site.
Samo

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:48 pm

i'm in

Paulo Gomes (tuga3d), Braga, Portugal
paulo_gomes

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Great job and Initiative Samo,

I'd be interested in checking both the final info about the association and the membership program. Please keep us updated. :)

regards,

Alvaro F. Celis
afecelis

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your support! There is already a nice group of people interested in becoming an active member. I have added Jandro and Morcy, who I have been able to contact through email.

The association will be probably registered in Spain, so the first step is providing a spanish translation of the association articles.

Then the articles, as per the spanish law, must be signed by at least 3 foundation members. We still don't know whether to organise a meeting to sign the articles or they will be send by courier. A real meeting of foundation members would be nice anyway.

I will inform you as soon as anything is decided!
Samo

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Samo wrote:Hi tjindy

Welcome. I have added you to the preliminary list. However, membership will be granted mostly to longtime Yafaray users, people who show a regular activity in the site and those who has collaborated with code or tutorials. You still have some months untill the Association is officially launched to post your works and interact with others in the site.

Usually i`am an observer. Reading yafaray forum for a 1,5 year or more.. Never posted before, but big will to do something good for one of the most impressive tracer. Maybe some day i will post my works.. in fact, I use Yafaray (erlier yafray) in my work to visualize some simple scenes. For me, instead of several free tracers, yafaray is one of the best piece of software.
About one year ago I led workshops for 5 days on Blender for beginners; one day was only for Yafray..
http://www.ckis.konin.pl/film/foto_2008/004.jpg
This year i will try repeat this with Yafaray :D

Cheers,

tjindy

PS. Sorry for my poor english.
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
tjindy

Post Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 pm

This is a really great news! And one more step to the succes of Yafaray.

Yafaray is a really great render; fast and easy to use. I use it a lot when I have to do photo realistic rendering.
But I'm still a bit nervous when I have to use it for a professional work. It's sad because I think that Yafaray is not to far to be able to fight against render engins like Vray.

Do you plan to have 1 or more permanent employee like in the Blender Foundation?
Some paid coders that can keep the bug tracking low when it comes close to a release?

But maybe it is to early to talk about those kind of stuffs...

Thanx Samo!
I will be a pleasure to give money to the Yafaray Association!
Ron7

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:48 am

I completely agree with you, the engine and the project itself needs some consolidation. In the comming months, rather than adding new features, IMO the engine should be made more robust by:

• Fixing black dot issues and FG white samples,
  • Improving and refining existing tools (bidirectional, photon mapping, FG).
  • Adding flexibility to certain features (caustics for instance).
  • Systematic fixing of bugs in the bugtracker and real bugtracker maintenace.
  • Implementing features suggested in the bugtracker.

This will ready the engine for professional enviroments and will consolidate the past year growth. Also another very important addition would be having some decent developers docs.

Do you plan to have 1 or more permanent employee like in the Blender Foundation?
Some paid coders that can keep the bug tracking low when it comes close to a release?

To reach that point, the Association should be able to generate a respectable amount of income. To do so, we should engage in real activities like lectures, workshops and conferences, and get people involved. And publishing - sellling stuff.

I believe it's possible hiring a part-time coder for a while for instance, once the the Association consolidates some savings. But that's looking way too much into the future. The main point now is that the Association would enable donations and economic activities in a legal way.
Samo

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:46 pm

The current YafaRay team agrees on registering the Association in Spain.

Spanish translation started here:
http://www.yafaray.org/es/node/249
Samo

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:56 pm

If you need further support:

Hi, I would like to become an active member, in case this thing takes off:
Manoj Kumar (Hemuman). Bangalore, India.
-----------------------
http://yafaray.manojky.net
hemuman

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Incorporating yourself in some form is an excellent idea. I predict having the ability to accept donations will be a huge catalyst for development. If the devs can reap some reward for their work it can move things forward dramatically - it's just human nature.

You might want to consider the Blender model and create projects to generate revenue in return for defined goals. I think many would contribute for this. I'm sure you're already thinking along these lines.

Having worked with several foundations (and experiencing their limitations) I throw out the following ideas:

1. Limit the main governing body to as few members as possible. This should be the main committed devs. The larger the boards are - the more bureaucratic / inefficient they are. All it takes is one person to derail a good idea. You can have advisory bodies to throw out ideas - but they should not have decision making power.

(It seems like the Luxrender project leader Radiance left because he ran into this - He may have had great ideas but they got lost in committee - This is just speculation on my part though.)

2. Choose one 'benevolent dictator' who has a term of office but has ultimate veto power. There are many ways to do things but often the best way is to just choose one way. Often non profits get bogged down with too many ideas and no one with the authority to give the go ahead to implement.

The success of Blender is really due to Ton and his enlightened leadership. The program is great but the ability to wrangle all of the different personalities and abilities of the Blender Devs is probably more important in the long run. Yafaray could use a "Ton" of its own.

Best of luck with everything.
andronicus

Post Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Good Idea,

I'm in as well :-)

Adrien Lourdelle (Adrien), London, U.K
FX Technical Director
http://Adrien.3dvf.net
Adrien

Previous

Return to News & Discussion