View topic - About helping with the documentation

About helping with the documentation

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

About helping with the documentation

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:01 pm

A couple of cool folks have asked me about helping with the YafaRay Docs.

I'm hard working to get the PDF old guide into the site structure. If you click on 'revisions' button in any finished section, you will see the amount of work that is being put in the Users Guide. I'm working now on this document:
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/userguide/material

The PDF guide is ported to the documentation section highly improved, many articles are rewritten from scratch. I'm planning to add images wherever is needed, for example when the image tells a lot more than any written explanation. Those images take a lot of time, because:
1. You have to work out a suitable scene for the feature you want to write about.
2. You have to test-render all the settings, value ranges and possible combinations.

For your info, some bugs fixed in the r300 revision are due to the tests done to document yafaray texturing capabilities.

I would like to be the only person working on the Users Guide, to keep on the standards I've been following from the beginning. I believe that a good users guide is very important.

However, 'm looking for help in these areas:
- Redacting a quick start guide.
- Redacting a brief 'features' page, to tell briefly and with little images what YafaRay does, like in the old site
- Somebody that have experience in volumetrics, to take care of that section. This is part of the User Guide, and I would like it to be as good as the other sections, which means that people will have to work out suitable (and cool) tests scenes and test the limits of the feature.
- Tutorials.
- Particular articles in the finished/remaining User Guide sections. If your stuff is better than mine, and you include test scenes and images.

Tell me what would you like to do and we will organise the thing to get you involved. I'm also interested in stuff produced by other means like videos. Regards.

Alvaro.

PD: once the site is fully implemented and the doc sections finished, I'm for giving writing/editing rights to all site members.
Samo

Re: About helping with the documentation

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Hello:

I´m sorry, because I can´t help you for feed the tutorials a guides parts.
Actually, I was wondering if are there any posibility to get the official guide in spanish, because is very dificult for me to follow the guide in english.

Thanks
---Under construction---
sybill

Post Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:46 am

Once the user guide is finished, we will work to enable writing rights for all site members, so everyone can write their own tuturials, improve the existing documents or translate them, using the site resources. Although only few people is writing stuff now, in the future it should be a comunity task.
Samo

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:41 am

So, I guess we, forum members, can't write some documentation for the moment?
Maybe I could do a video tutorial on the first steps with Yafaray then. Could it be included with the documentation part?
bupla

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:12 am

I'm working on it, it is only that I'm a bit busy at the moment.

In the future everyone should be able to add/edit content to the docs section, but we have to create a Writers' Guidelines first, so everyone knows how to use drupal, upload files to the server, style & goals, licensing, etc.

Also we need to plan about how to include videos.
Samo

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to rush you Samo.
I will check out how to do a videotutorial for the first steps in Yafaray (which will take me some time) and so I could post it here later.
bupla

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Samo

I just wanted to drop a line ad say that the result of the online doc is
great. Very compact and illustrated.

The students respond very well to it.

Claas
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator
cekuhnen

Return to News & Discussion