View topic - bye bye YafRay!

bye bye YafRay!

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

bye bye YafRay!

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:53 pm

It is official, old YafRay will be dropped in the next Blender release. We are in talks to add YafaRay 0.1.0 scripts as official ones in Blender.

Good bye old YafRay. Never such a small program produced so much art!

YafRay render by Kronos
YafRay render by Enrico Cerica
YafRay render by Yarpen

And so many good works. Thank you Jandro and eeshlo.
Samo

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 am

Well, I can't pretend I won't miss it, but I guess we just have to get over it and move on. At least I get to keep all my old integrated Blender versions....

....and Yaf(a)ray will be some consolation.
stoneage

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:44 pm

That's a wonderfull news Samo! :D
It will be great to see the script in the official release!
It will atract much more users!
Do you know when will next blender version get released this way?
Or is it top secret?
8)
Manuel_Ramos

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Manuel_Ramos wrote:That's a wonderfull news Samo! :D
It will be great to see the script in the official release!
It will atract much more users!
Do you know when will next blender version get released this way?
Or is it top secret?
8)

It is not sure it will get accepted, it is not just a small 'script' with a nice function, it is a doorway to a yet another external engine that can be used instead of Blender Internal.

our views are explained in this post:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14315

Blender develovers are being very kind with us, but now everyone is busy with 2.50. We'll see.
Samo

Re: bye bye YafRay!

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 am

Oh man. With the new interface and "discontinuity problem" we have a lot of trouble. the well integrated solution with blender is lost, as I see. I am not happy. I try to archive old solutions and looking for other renderer.
nihylius

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Samo, the way you presented it, and the images you posted made me so nostalgic! :(
I'll always feel very fond of yafray as it taught me a lot of the things you need to know in the 3d rendering field about a raytracer. It will always keep a very special place in my memories. ;) And I'll always keep an older version of blender that works with it to play with the old friend.

Long live the new king yafaray! :D

regards,
Alvaro F. celis
afecelis

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:13 am

Forgive me but it seems a step backward. The integration yafray had with blender gives it a huge edge, in my opinion. After playing with the script when I bought my Mac Pro I can say it's too much toruble to redo every material again and setup criptic render settings. I'm sticking with 0.0.9 till integration works.

Plus no matter how I tried I got lousy results from yafaray. A shame really.
"May The Force Be With You."

-Jedi Master Hoshi
MasterHoshi

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:36 am

MasterHoshi,

Even if we had an integration like before, it would still be necessary to set up again most of yafaray material settings, because they are completely different from Blender ones.

In the past yafray developers looked for close support of every new Blender rendering feature, so many settings had a direct translation from blender to YafRay. But that approach had many downsides that have been explained here many times. To implement a new YafaRay feature, developers just proceed without asking for anybody's permision. With YafRay it was not possible, you needed to have the coded accepted by the Blender guys.

It is fine if you use YafRay 0.0.9, after all is part of this project as well as the new engine.
Samo

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:00 am

But in the other hand, it would be very handy to have some "basic" conversion done by current Python exporter.
Things like diffuse colour, mirror colour, transparency, IOR. Material type could be also deducated from blender's setting: for example: Blender: RayMirror on, if "Gloss" settings are equal 1, exporter sets Yafaray mat. as shinnydiffusemat with Mirror strenght translated from Blender's RayMir value. If "Gloss"<1, then exporter sets Yafaray material as glossy, with glossy reflection translated from Blender's RayMirr value and exponent converted from Gloss.

A did something similar with Kerkythea exporter (not public yet). Well, maybe I could do that with Yafaray exporter, if nobody currently is working on someting similar...
melon2008

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Melon2008: Usually, people stick with one renderer. And they know the renderer before they make the scene. So when people know they are going to use YafaRay, they won't need any kind of conversion, because they are setting up materials and so on from the start in the YafaRay UI.

If someone makes a complete scene with Blender material settings and then decides to see what it looks like in YafaRay, then this may be another matter. But then, still manual adaption to YafaRay's material settings will be necessary (for the reasons Samo stated). So with automatic conversion, the danger exists, that some settings will be left out and people have no idea why their scene looks all weird and bad. Here would be my proposal: If you like, write a method that will do the conversion (using some good heuristics :wink:), and then we could implement it as a button (like "Convert all materials from Blender"), so people actually know they are converting now. That would be something that I think made sense.

MasterHoshi: If your results with YafaRay are all shit, then I'd say, you should practice a bit. The gallery suggests that this is not YafaRay's fault. :wink:
bert_b

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:52 pm

bert_b:
ok, sounds like it could work that way, so I'll give it a try.
But don't expect me to make it quickly or even don't expect me to make it done at all :), please.
melon2008

Post Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 am

bert_b wrote:MasterHoshi: If your results with YafaRay are all shit, then I'd say, you should practice a bit. The gallery suggests that this is not YafaRay's fault. :wink:

I don't disagree, but I found it so difficult I lost interest after trying a few times with the same horrible results.

Also to answer the earlier posts, I do in fact try different render engines for my scenes since sometimes I can choose what will work best.

Materials, IMO, is a big one. I think for usability it makes sense to somehow brings these together. And I find it hard to believe the node editor or even the new developments can't be leveraged. However I understand this is not trivial and Blender is a completely different project.

I guess what's pissing me off is the engine looks like it is fabulous but Blender's integration is so bad it's no better than the million other engines I've tried (and found just a difficult to get anything great out of it.) Since I have a film I want to finish I can't just to YafARay for a while it seams. Thank goodness yafray works fast as hell on my 8-core.

-Jedi Master Hoshi
MasterHoshi

Post Sun May 03, 2009 4:55 am

Oh and one more thing. To be completely honest, yafray looks just as good output wise when used correctly.

-Jedi Master Hoshi
MasterHoshi

Post Mon May 04, 2009 11:26 am

MasterHoshi wrote: I guess what's pissing me off is the engine looks like it is fabulous but Blender's integration is so bad it's no better than the million other engines I've tried (and found just a difficult to get anything great out of it.) Since I have a film I want to finish I can't just to YafARay for a while it seams. Thank goodness yafray works fast as hell on my 8-core.

Yafaray is really, really fast.
Its simply the best open source render.
What you may say is that yafaray doest have one little feature that can change a lot the render times: IRRADIANCE CACHE.
Yes, yafray rocked with this tiny little feature.
But I believe yafaray will have it soon. Its already a feature request.
Anyway, the integration is beeing made step by step if you look at the yafaray history.
Yes it is very slow. But have you made anything to help it?
I dont have anything to do with yafaray team, but I must say this guys made a really fantastic engine. Cant you see the difference in the materials? In the lights? Sunsky? Quality Render settings?
You can help yafaray developers by making a list of what you consider to be the features that cant be integretad in blender, by showing your work, sharing your experience, translating documents, sharing files, bugs, getting more users to this community and also:
- asking in blender forums for more cooperation with this guys
- Dont forget they made svn blender, and that was heavily criticised. Were you there? Did you supported the yafaray team?
Manuel_Ramos

Post Wed May 06, 2009 1:53 am

Manuel_Ramos wrote:
MasterHoshi wrote: I guess what's pissing me off is the engine looks like it is fabulous but Blender's integration is so bad it's no better than the million other engines I've tried (and found just a difficult to get anything great out of it.) Since I have a film I want to finish I can't just to YafARay for a while it seams. Thank goodness yafray works fast as hell on my 8-core.

Yafaray is really, really fast.
Its simply the best open source render.
What you may say is that yafaray doest have one little feature that can change a lot the render times: IRRADIANCE CACHE.
Yes, yafray rocked with this tiny little feature.
But I believe yafaray will have it soon. Its already a feature request.
Anyway, the integration is beeing made step by step if you look at the yafaray history.
Yes it is very slow. But have you made anything to help it?
I dont have anything to do with yafaray team, but I must say this guys made a really fantastic engine. Cant you see the difference in the materials? In the lights? Sunsky? Quality Render settings?
You can help yafaray developers by making a list of what you consider to be the features that cant be integretad in blender, by showing your work, sharing your experience, translating documents, sharing files, bugs, getting more users to this community and also:
- asking in blender forums for more cooperation with this guys
- Dont forget they made svn blender, and that was heavily criticised. Were you there? Did you supported the yafaray team?

I've been a HUGE fan of yafray from the beginning and I've been very excited about yafaray as well., And while I am a software developer by trade and artist by hobby, I don't have time to add another project to my belt. I'm only making some observations based on my first usage of the programme. I think it will be great as yafray was, no doubt, but I think a few things really need some work. I'm not just being critical, just pointing them out.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, I'm not denying they have made progress. Also, it's not fair to discount someone's opinion because they didn't write a line of code in the project.

Anyway, just my two cents. I'll keep my eye on the project because I desperately want to use it.

-Jedi Master Hoshi
MasterHoshi

Next

Return to News & Discussion