View topic - Upcoming YafaRay v4

Upcoming YafaRay v4

General questions related with the YafaRay Project, 3D computer graphics and about this site.

Upcoming YafaRay v4

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I've been working for the last months on the new YafaRay v4. I'm making some fundamental changes to it (object primitives and intersections, which is the very core of the renderer) and I hope to be able to add some long requested features to YafaRay thanks to that work.

However, rebuilding fundamental parts of the YafaRay core is, as you can imagine, a long and hard process. I'm getting very interesting results and it looks promising, but still a long way to go before v4 gets ready to be released.

I'm making the changes with a focus on being able to add some (also long requested) material and lights features to the renderer, so I will try to come up with a new object management that can support them so we don't have again fundamental limitations that restrain the development of new features.

I don't want to give you any specific details yet, because this is still very unstable and I don't want to make promises I might not be able to fulfill, but I'm progressing (slowly as I can only do this in my free time, which is very scarce lately), but still progress is being made.

I will keep you informed! Best regards.
David Bluecame

Re: Upcoming YafaRay v4

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 pm

great news David, keep it strong ! Primitives and ray intersection is the oldest part in YafaRay right now, because that code was inherited from YafRay, but at the same time is the most important one since ray intersection is the most frequent task in any raytracer.
Samo

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 am

Wonderful news, it would be great to test out what you come up with. :)
gaurav

Post Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you, guys! It's still too soon even for a pre-alpha, as I'm working to get back existing basic features like transparent shadows, mesh lights, etc with the new system. Once I get back all basic features I will upload the code and the first alpha. Still lots of work to do but I hope it's worth it.

Don't expect spectacular speed improvements. I only expect very modest improvements (at least in the beginning) bit I hope to make the foundation more flexible and powerful to get new features that have been requested for many years.
David Bluecame

Post Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 am

Glad to see that you're working on the development of the next version. Being a "one-man-band" team it's obviously a time consuming process and I understand it.

It would be nice to read your plan of action and prioritization list of features that you might eventually include in the next version.

Thank you for keeping Yafaray alive.
Harvester

Return to News & Discussion