View topic - Particles in Yafaray (grass)

Particles in Yafaray (grass)

Post here tutorials and links to tutorials about YafaRay and other CG training material related to YafaRay

Re: Particles in Yafaray (grass)

Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:11 am

the first part of the tutorial has been already published, check it out here:
http://www.yafaray.org/documentation/tutorials
Samo

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Aspen wrote:use just 100 000 of them, i guess with this perspective and this angle you should get nice result, otherwise you can split your particles to lets say 3 different types, the first one closest the camera gets more particles, some "meter" farther you can locate the second particle system with less amount of particles and the same thing with 3th one. Thanks to this technique, you can render long distances with particles ;)

Here it goes my try.
http://rapidshare.com/files/253467214/final.jpg
8)
Manuel_Ramos

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:36 am

oh men, that was alot of particles, how long time did it took to render this? And secondly, I think that you should use grass with randomized green colour becouse it uses just one color, and its not looking that realistic ;)
Good work, and nice trees :)
Aspen

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Aspen wrote:oh men, that was alot of particles, how long time did it took to render this? And secondly, I think that you should use grass with randomized green colour becouse it uses just one color, and its not looking that realistic ;)
Good work, and nice trees :)

free trees:
vyonyx.com

particles:

select random and even
1st plane 1100 x 100
2nd plane 500 x 100
3d plane 250 x 100

color:
I dont know how to make the color random...Can you tell me please?

I keep my doubts abou some kind of bug wih particles. How can you explain that we get a crash ( when the mesh is bigger) running yafaray with 400 particles and when you render the same scene in blender internal you dont have any problem?

I love gabich grass, but when you put it in a big field with particles you get a crash with 400 particles...

I suggest a contest. How to make a big field of realist grass with particles? Do you agree?
Manuel_Ramos

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:21 am

Manuel_Ramos wrote:color:
I dont know how to make the color random...Can you tell me please?

Sure. If you use groups and different grass strands you can simply add lets say darker to 1 strand, normal to the second one and brighter to third one, than you have randomized them (by particle system) so you should see the difference between these particles, and could get better result.

Manuel_Ramos wrote:I keep my doubts abou some kind of bug wih particles. How can you explain that we get a crash ( when the mesh is bigger) running yafaray with 400 particles and when you render the same scene in blender internal you dont have any problem?

I love gabich grass, but when you put it in a big field with particles you get a crash with 400 particles...

I suggest a contest. How to make a big field of realist grass with particles? Do you agree?

Hmm, i don't think so, i'm on linux and i'm using r315 and could succesfully render 500 particles (i mean whole grass parts x 500 :) ) and of course the render needs a lot of ram memory, if you are on windows, it's possible that there is some kind of bug, or you just have not enough ram memory (i tried on my 1GB).

To make big field you can use normal amount of particles (lets say 100 000 grass strands) but the important thing is to have camera allmost 0 degrees to the field so you don't see grass from the top (otherwise you could clearly see the "holes" between the grass), if you have grass from long distance, its enough if you put simple grass texture ;)

Good luck :)
Aspen

Previous

Return to Tutorials & Learning Resources