View topic - Sunsky Parameters

Sunsky Parameters

Post here tutorials and links to tutorials about YafaRay and other CG training material related to YafaRay

Sunsky Parameters

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Dear colleagues,

some news on the sunsky background generation from my side. I have updated my original interactive tutorial on the sunsky settings as well as written a new text based tutorial. The text tutorial is focusing on the different parameters and their influence on the background. I put it online today and it would be nice if you could provide me with some feedback - either directly in the forum or by private message.

The text based version of the tutorial. In section 4 I would like to collect some good example settings.
http://www.martin-sand.de/tutorials-sunsky.php

The interactive version of the tutorial. Some images (700 out of 4000) are still missing but I will upload the last bunch of pictures until the end of the week.
http://www.martin-sand.de/tutorials-sunsky-settings.php

Have fun and best regards,
Martin
sandstorm

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi Sandstorm,

it seems we performed the same tests on sunsky... 8)

I noticed that a_var supports negative values.

Do you have an additional light in your scene? In the "from" chapter, the sun moves but shadows remain at the same place....I just found it a bit confusing...what about having no light, only lighting from the sunsky itself?

Anyway, good job! I appreciate!

Doodle.

PS: could you check the D_VAR=-1.5...I think you meant C_VAR=-1.5...
doodle

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:19 pm

doodle wrote:I noticed that a_var supports negative values.
I will give it a try tomorrow.

doodle wrote:Do you have an additional light in your scene? In the "from" chapter, the sun moves but shadows remain at the same place....I just found it a bit confusing...
Yes, that is true. In Blender it always remains the same independent from the position of the camera. With the sun you just set the vector of the rays. Quoted from the Blender Wiki: "This direction can be changed by rotating the sun lamp, as any other object, but because the light is emitted in a constant direction, the location of a sun lamp does not affect the rendered result."
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Sun_Lamp

When you use sunsky it is a bit more tricky as the sun's (or the light source's) position is taken relative to the camera's position. This is what I try to explain in chapter 3.1

doodle wrote:what about having no light, only lighting from the sunsky itself?
Also possible. I already had it in my first version of the tutorial. I will render some examples and give it its own chapter.

doodle wrote:Anyway, good job! I appreciate!
Thanks! My dream is to get to the same level as Indigo ...

doodle wrote:PS: could you check the D_VAR=-1.5...I think you meant C_VAR=-1.5...
Thanks. Updated!

Martin
sandstorm

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi Martin,

I wasnt interested in the sunsky-theme very much, but after looking at your turorials i am :wink:
Thank you very much for your work.
Do you think there is a chance that you could modify the exporterscript for setting up the sunsky from the UI?

Greetings

Quibodi (alias Koxi in blendpolis)
quibodi

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:07 pm

quibodi wrote:I wasnt interested in the sunsky-theme very much, but after looking at your turorials i am :wink:
Thank you very much for your work.

You are welcome. Many thanks!

quibodi wrote:Do you think there is a chance that you could modify the exporterscript for setting up the sunsky from the UI?

I think Sanne did work on this. Take a look on http://www.yafray.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1334

Best regards,
Martin
sandstorm

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:10 am

sandstorm wrote:I think Sanne did work on this. Take a look on http://www.yafray.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1334

Quibodi, Martin, yes, that's right, I'm working on sunsky support for the Blender exporter. I'm currently working on setting the sun direction also, which is missing from the version in my post.

I hope to have it finished and working soon, but I'd also have to merge Lynx's recent update to the exporter gui and update my yafaray to the latest revision, and also make sure it works with Blender's latest svn.

I'll post here and in my thread when I have a new version ready.

Sanne
Sanne

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 am

Hi Sanne, thanks for this information.
I had a look to your thread. Unfortunately i'm only a stupid end-user and don't know anything about compiling and such things :cry: It would be very nice, if you post a step-by-step-how-to for your next version (for windows-users, i think linux-users know how to compile :wink:)

Anyway, many thanks for sharing your work.

Quibodi
quibodi

Post Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:47 pm

Exporter with sunsky support is updated, see my thread.

Quibodi, I'd love to help you with compiling, but I have no idea how to do it on Windows, I'm sorry. I'm on Linux for some years now and never compiled Blender on Windows. If you still think I could help you with this, let's discuss it in my thread, so we don't clutter Martin's topic, ok? :wink:
Sanne

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi,

this is another attempt to document and illustrate the yaf(a)ray sunsky feature.

http://imaginoscope.free.fr/yafray/scenes/background/sunsky/sunsky-doc.xml

About presentation: still need to be enhanced (I have a some boring differences between IE and Firefox... :evil:).

About content: feel free to give me feedback, errors, things you'd like to see added......

Doodle
doodle

Return to Tutorials & Learning Resources