View topic - Yafaray standalone?

Yafaray standalone?

Post here general questions about usage of YafaRay and about the Blender Exporter UI

Re: Yafaray standalone?

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:26 pm

David Bluecame wrote:You can use Blender and YafaRay, set in Render options "render to XML" instead of "Into Blender" and it will generate an XML file with the scene that you can render using yafaray-xml standalone.

Can you post a screenshot of this menu option? I cannot locate it.

Also, you are missing the point. I do not want to use Blender *at all*. I have large 4GB models, and many smaller ones as well. Loading them all in Blender (if Blender can even handle them) is more trouble for me than working with and editing just text.
posfan12

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm

PS. I have subscribed to this thread, but am not getting email notifications when people post in it. How do I turn this on?

[edit]

I found the emails. Disregard.
posfan12

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Hello,

This is the screenshot. When you select "Export to XML" and start the render process, it will just generate an XML file with the scene. That scene can be rendered with yafaray-xml.exe.

screenshot.png
David Bluecame

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:27 am

Do you have any tips on how to convert a mesh to XML outside of Blender? I am trying to import an LDraw model into Blender, and it is taking a long time (3 1/2 hours so far, unknown how much longer).
posfan12

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:58 am

Hello,

YafaRay XML format is not a standard format, just a way to tell YafaRay what objects to create, etc.

So, there are no standard converters out there for YafaRay XML.

When you install YafaRay in Blender, YafaRay adds a "YafaRay-XML" export (the one I showed in the screenshot) that allows to export the Blender scene to YafaRay XML format. Apart from that, I'm not aware of any other converters out there.

In your case, the only way would be for you to create your own converter to YafaRay XML format, but I really doubt it would be worth the effort for you.
David Bluecame

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 am

Yes, a new converter will need to be written.
posfan12

Previous

Return to General Questions and Blender Exporter UI