View topic - YafaRay Usability Lab

YafaRay Usability Lab

Post here general questions about usage of YafaRay and about the Blender Exporter UI

Re: YafaRay Usability Lab

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 am

hi samo,

thanks for this initiative.

i feel shinydiffuse and glossy can become one mat(in gui)-when glossy parameters are set it becomes glossy otherwise shinydiffuse.

blend material needs 3 material -some simplification needed here.
rusted

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:25 pm

I would put an "Auto Refresh Preview" button in Material Settings. When I´m modifying a material, everytime you change any setting, you have to press Refresh Preview. It becames an annoying routine.

I think it would be a even a better idea to erase the Refresh Preview button and make all materials "auto-refresh" automatically (without any button). This would save users to do extra clicks ;)

Another minor add would be the posibility to choose to see the preview of the material also in a cube and not only in a sphere (just like in Blender´s material preview panel).
Arkinauta

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 am

I have proposed this in the chat room and I would like to propose it here as well, which is implementing a nodes system for the whole yafaray, not only materials but all render parameters, that's easy since yafaray works internally with blocks of nodes of settings, not only for materials.

So instead of a silly UI of criptic buttons, a tree of nodes for materials, render settings, etc. This would create a different project culture, more oriented to multipass rendering and nodes editing.
Samo

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Samo, can you post some sort of mock up image as to what this might look like from a UI view. I am having trouble understanding what the at would actually be,
loh

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Samo wrote:This would create a different project culture, more oriented to multipass rendering and nodes editing.

Multipass rendering would be a much apreciated feature for Yafaray. Actually, your proposal seems quite interesting. Something like that would make Yafaray a quite flexible aplication in the future.
What have the developers said?

Another propossal for materials (as we have them now in 0.1.1): The possibility to "erase" your material configuration in Yafaray. I know you can change you type of material, but Yafaray "remembers" the last configuration you did in a material type.
Arkinauta

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:47 pm

From a new user, I have a few suggestions:

1. Automatic export of the diffuse color from Blender material to the Yafaray material. If the exporter does this already, I don't know the secret and always have to manually duplicate the colors.

2. I have a scene with a lot of materials. When I browse for the material in the export script, the name is off the screen and I am unable to scroll to reach it. (If there is a scroll bar, it is off my screen and I am not able to reach it either.)

3. The Yafaray display screen blocks Blender. Very annoying to have to close it to continue.

4. Render presets. There should be some preloaded presets for common render situations. How many posts have you seen from new users that have crazy high parameters set. I'm sure that this wide possibility of parameter variation has its uses, like rendering a scene with a multifaceted diamond in a glass of water sitting on a reflective table in a hall of mirrors! But for 99 percent of the other renders, I bet that the render parameters fall into a pretty narrow range. A small set of presets would greatly improve the 'out of the box' experience for new users.
jrboddie1

Post Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi all,
heretic post was moved on another thread with his agreement due to very general approach not in the mood of this thread.
You will find it here: http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/ ... 378#p18378
Michele Castigliego
ALTASIS - http://www.altasis.it
subcomandante
Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Proposal about a UI redesign, it is an old document but very informative about how nodes work in YafaRay
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kZv ... -Kb4Q/edit
Samo

Previous

Return to General Questions and Blender Exporter UI