View topic - Recent Blender Exporter fails to Render

Recent Blender Exporter fails to Render

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

Recent Blender Exporter fails to Render

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi all,

I recently updated my git clones of Yafaray and the Blender Exporter. Compilation and installation went fine. Blender recognizes the exporter and installs it without errors. However, I observe that rendering fails. Neither ALT+F12 (viewport render) nor F12 (Camera Render) works. I get the following messages on the terminal.

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray/ot/yafaray_operators.py", line 146, in execute
    bpy.types.YAFA_V3_RENDER.useViewToRender = True
AttributeError: 'RNA_Types' object has no attribute 'YAFA_V3_RENDER'

[15:32:32] INFO: YafaRay Core (v3.3.0-5-g3a98966) Linux 64bit GCC
[15:32:32] INFO: YafaRay Blender-Exporter (v3.3.0-8-ge278b31)
[15:32:32] INFO: Exporter: Blender version 2.79.1.  Build information: Linux, Release, branch: master, hash: 5650fe77e4c
[15:32:32] INFO: Exporter: System information: x86_64, Linux-4.15.0-0.rc4.git1.1.fc28.x86_64-x86_64-with-fedora-28-Rawhide
[15:32:32] INFO: Environment: Loading plugins ...
[15:32:33] INFO (+ 1s): Exporter: Processing Materials...
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporter: Creating Material "defaultMat"
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporter: Creating Material: "Material--9223372036844627884"
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporter: Processing Lamps...
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporting Lamp: Lamp [point]
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporter: Processing Geometry...
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporting Mesh: Cube
[15:32:33] INFO: Exporting Cameras
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray/io/yaf_export.py", line 430, in update
    self.exportScene()
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray/io/yaf_export.py", line 89, in exportScene
    self.yaf_object.createCameras()
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray/io/yaf_object.py", line 61, in createCameras
    if bpy.types.YAFA_V3_RENDER.useViewToRender or not render.use_multiview:

[15:32:33] ERROR: Environment: Specify a Camera!!

Note that the scene is the default Blender scene with one lamp, camera and a cube.

What is going on?

Regards
twohot

Re: Recent Blender Exporter fails to Render

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello,

That's very strange. Please make sure there are not another yafaray or yafaray_v3 folders installedin the addons folder (both in the home and usr foldrrs)

Also try installing it in a folder yafaray_v3 instead of just yafaray
David Bluecame

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 am

Does it help to mention that the addon folder is actually a symbolic link to an /opt/yafaray folder?
I usually have the real folder as a link to the default addon location. It made it easier to test new compilations. This worked in the past. I will try placing the real instance in the addon folder
twohot

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:31 am

ALT-F12 still crashes, and F12 (camera render) still gives me a transparent render -- with an error message (No cameras!). Its the same even when I rename the addon folder or install it directly at the default location. :?

Code: Select all
[08:16:54] INFO: YafaRay Core (v3.3.0-5-g3a98966) Linux 64bit GCC
[08:16:54] INFO: YafaRay Blender-Exporter (v3.3.0-8-ge278b31)
[08:16:54] INFO: Exporter: Blender version 2.79.1.  Build information: Linux, Release, branch: master, hash: 5650fe77e4c
[08:16:55] INFO (+ 1s): Exporter: System information: x86_64, Linux-4.15.0-0.rc4.git1.1.fc28.x86_64-x86_64-with-fedora-28-Rawhide
[08:16:55] INFO: Environment: Loading plugins ...
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporter: Processing Materials...
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporter: Creating Material "defaultMat"
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporter: Creating Material: "Material--9223372036845161297"
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporter: Processing Lamps...
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporting Lamp: Lamp [point]
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporter: Processing Geometry...
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporting Mesh: Cube
[08:16:55] INFO: Exporting Cameras
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray_v3/io/yaf_export.py", line 430, in update
    self.exportScene()
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray_v3/io/yaf_export.py", line 89, in exportScene
    self.yaf_object.createCameras()
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray_v3/io/yaf_object.py", line 61, in createCameras
    if bpy.types.YAFA_V3_RENDER.useViewToRender or not render.use_multiview:

[08:16:55] ERROR: Environment: Specify a Camera!!
[08:17:00] INFO (+ 5s): Interface: Done.
  File "/home/twohot/.config/blender/2.79/scripts/addons/yafaray_v3/ot/yafaray_operators.py", line 146, in execute
    bpy.types.YAFA_V3_RENDER.useViewToRender = True

Saved session recovery to '/tmp/quit.blend'
twohot

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Please will you give me the following details?

* Will you please provide me with the link you used to download your Fedora version?
* And the link you used to download your Blender version?

Thanks!
David Bluecame

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 am

For Blender:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Fedora/CMake
I did not follow the notes about dependencies in section 2. It requires the use of install_deps.sh. I avoid that script. The last time I tried the script, it downloaded sources and compiled packages I could access through the repos. I prefer using the distribution's repository. They're usually up-to-date (sometimes a little ahead) and when things don't work, I file bug reports.

For Fedora:
https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-27-1.6.iso .
I run the bleeding-edge version of fedora (i.e. Rawhide, currently tagged 'fc28'). I think you can get that by upgrading from release-27 via dnf. I couldn't find a recent rawhide media. My experience of rawhide is that it is mostly stable despite the constant development and updates. You should be fine :wink: I have the recent updates (except for the Kernel -- I delay those because they get updated too frequently. Currently running Kernel-4.15.0-0.rc4.git1.1.fc28.x86_64

Hope you can replicate the issue.
Last edited by twohot on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
twohot

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 am

Ah ... I see there is an option for + Manual Dependency Installation (optional) in the blender wiki I posted.
Yes, that's what I used.
twohot

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Possibly the problem is the Blender build. Yafaray and Blender have to compiled against the same support libraries, do it may be a mismatch that causes the render to fail.

You could try testing with the official stable Blender build. Alternatively, compile Yafaray from source on the same system.
stoneage

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 am

The two were built on the same machine. Will try it against an official build nonetheless.
stoneage wrote:Alternatively, compile Yafaray from source on the same system

Perhaps I am building yafaray from the wrong source. Can someone confirm the location of the correct yafaray git repository?
twohot

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:37 am

Ah, ok. I didn't realise you had compiled Yafaray as well.

It should run if you download the binary for Yafaray and run it with the official stable Blender version . . . probably.

David can hopefully advise on compiling from source and compatibility.
stoneage

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Here are my recent observations after following your advices above?

(1) Recent compilation of blender (from source) against official Yafaray release --> *CRASH* (crash report seems to indict Boost. Yafaray was compiled with Boost 1.61.0 (Fedora rawhide has 1.64.0)

(2) Installed Blender direct from Fedora Repository using DNF, then installed official Yafaray 3.3 --> *CRASH* (something about "bad allocation". It could be a Jemalloc issue but the short version is that the fun didn't happen

(3) Compiled Yafaray and Blender --> No Render. I get transparent render or error message about missing camera.

(3) Downloaded the official 2.79 release from http://blender.org and executed Blender from the decompressed archive ... it picks Yafaray_v3 from addons folder and renders just fine.

Summary:
It appears I am limited to the release versions. This wasn't always the case in the past. My previous encounters with Yafaray had been from source ... and the compilations worked just fine with blender (which I also compiled). What's the way forward?
twohot

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:44 pm

That was generally my experience too, building Blender and Yafaray on Ubuntu.

The code has undergone (and is still going through) a lot of changes, and maybe hasn't been made as flexible and forgiving as it used to be. I think I remember David mentioning he tests with stable, official Blender, and that is the only Blender version currently recommended.

Doesn't mean other options can't work, they're just not officially supported yet. :(

(At least, that's how I understand it)
stoneage

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 pm

Hello,

Sorry, these dates are a bit "special" ;-)

About this particular problem I will do some tests over the next days to see why are you having these problems.

About dependencies, etc, I'm making changes to my development v4 code to make Boost an optional dependency. Without it some things will not work but nothing too critical.

Not only that but I will also make Embree an optional dependency in v4 and it will not be mandatory. The current YafaRay "original" intersection code will probably disappear but I will use a different intersection kernel "nanoRT" (which is a as a single header file) as a "fallback". NanoRT is approx. 2x slower than YafaRay v3 native intersection code but it will help in case Embree cannot be built in for whatever reason,
David Bluecame

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 pm

David Bluecame wrote:Hello, Sorry, these dates are a bit "special" ;-)

The festive dates?

David Bluecame wrote:About this particular problem I will do some tests over the next days to see why are you having these problems.

That's exciting. Perhaps once again people can have the option of following development by compiling from source.

David Bluecame wrote:About dependencies, etc, I'm making changes to my development v4 code to make Boost an optional dependency. Without it some things will not work but nothing too critical.

Awesome!

David Bluecame wrote:Not only that but I will also make Embree an optional dependency in v4 and it will not be mandatory. The current YafaRay "original" intersection code will probably disappear but I will use a different intersection kernel "nanoRT" (which is a as a single header file) as a "fallback". NanoRT is approx. 2x slower than YafaRay v3 native intersection code but it will help in case Embree cannot be built in for whatever reason,

I am guessing that retaining the original intersection code as fallback is not sustainable (which is why Yafaray is evolving into something that leaves no traces of its roots). In any case, a better Yafaray sounds exciting. Should we be expecting realization of these visions any time soon ... next week perhaps? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
twohot

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:28 am

Hello,

Yes, I was talking about the festive dates.

About building from source, right now it is possible already and there are several guides included in the source for several OSs, I'm not sure why you say it's not possible? You are using the bleeding edge unstable version of Fedora so I think you should expect difficulties because of that. It's still unclear whether this is a YafaRay problem.

About losing its roots, I think any major change in the code could be seen as losing the roots for any piece of software. I woukd like to keep, at least part of the original intersection code as another possible intersection kernel but not sure if I will be able or if the effort is worth it considering Embree will be the main kernel of choice.

And the expected timeline for v4 unfortunately it will take time. I'm rewriting large sections of my v4 code again (which was too messy and experimental) with better code quality and more encapsulated. I'm having some severe difficulties and bugs to solve and still need to reimplement some basic functionality, so still way to go...
David Bluecame

Next

Return to Testing Builds