View topic - YafaRay experimental v0.1.99-beta4 builds Windows and Linux

YafaRay experimental v0.1.99-beta4 builds Windows and Linux

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

YafaRay experimental v0.1.99-beta4 builds Windows and Linux

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Hello,

I've prepared the new YafaRay Experimental v0.1.99-beta4 (for Blender v2.75RC) with some fixes and new features. I hope you like them.

I've also prepared Windows 32bit / 64bit and Linux 32bit / 64 bit builds. You have the download links for all of them, information about the changes and the source code in here:

https://github.com/DavidBluecame/Blender-Exporter/releases/tag/v0.1.99-beta4

Main changes in this Blender-Exporter beta4 version (including changes in the Core) respect to beta3:

* Changes to the blend material "component" material1,material2 handling. In previous versions if you created or deleted materials in the .blend file, sometimes all the material components of the blend materials changed or dissapeared randomly. To avoid it, now the materials are referenced by name using strings. You cannot use dropdown menus anymore to select the blend submaterials, and you have to be careful now not to rename the materials used by "blend" materials. However, with the new system if you create or delete other materials it will not affect the blend material1,material2 assignments.

Also, I've increased the level of detail in the YafaRay Log, so if there are any problems with missing components in blend materials it should be easy to spot and correct by reading the YafaRay Log.

WARNING: this change breaks backwards compatibility. When opening a .blend created with an older version of YafaRay the blend material components will be "upgraded" to the new system, but the"blend" materials in a blend made with the new version could behave wrongly if you open it with an older version.

* New advanced parameters for fine control of Shadow Bias/Min Ray Dist if the automatic calculation is not good enough.

* Fix for caustics noise coming from Non-IBL background in Photon Mapping. Now the background will only be used for Caustics if IBL is enabled and (if there is a caustics parameter available in the background settings) if caustics is enabled in the background.

* Background "power" parameters relocated to places where they make more sense. They were hidden and only visible when IBL was enabled, but most of the times the power parameter affects the background rendering even if IBL is disabled.

I hope you find these changes useful. Best regards!
David Bluecame

Re: YafaRay experimental v0.1.99-beta4 builds Windows and Linux

Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:52 am

(Edited: added the Windows 32bit build)
David Bluecame

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:49 am

Hi David. First of all thank you for your work on YafaRay. Testing the latest release candidate I've found some issues, bugs or missing stuff that I am reporting herewith for further investigation in case they were not yet spotted.

1) In the Camera's Object Data panel the Camera Datablock is missing;
2) Still in the Camera's Object Data panel the Safe Areas section is missing generating an error or warning message in the console:
rna_uiItemR: property not found: Camera.show_title_safe
D:\Blender_2.75_stable\2.75\scripts\addons_extern\yafaray\ui\properties_yaf_camera.py:123
3) The Layers information is presented inside the Render panel while they should be viewable inside the Render Layers panel instead.
4) If the YafaRay render engine is currently selected the Import Images as Planes add-on doesn't work and no images are imported; to workaround this issue you have to switch back to the Blender Render engine, import the image as a plane, and then switch back to the YafaRay engine. There seems to be some sort of conflict between the two.

These are the things I've found during the weekend playing with YafaRay and I hope they helps to improve the next release candidate.

I have one question about the scene's object data export process at rendering time: would it be possible to cache these data for subsequent rendering reuse, as it happens in Cycles with the BVH structure or in Luxrender? This would speed up the rendering export process a lot if YafaRay could avoid to re-export every time the entire scene instead of only the datablocks that have been changed from the previous data export.

Thanks
Harvester

Post Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Hello, thank you for the information!

Harvester wrote:1) In the Camera's Object Data panel the Camera Datablock is missing;

I will investigate that.

Harvester wrote:2) Still in the Camera's Object Data panel the Safe Areas section is missing generating an error or warning message in the console:
rna_uiItemR: property not found: Camera.show_title_safe
D:\Blender_2.75_stable\2.75\scripts\addons_extern\yafaray\ui\properties_yaf_camera.py:123

I will also investigate that.

Harvester wrote:3) The Layers information is presented inside the Render panel while they should be viewable inside the Render Layers panel instead.

Along with fixing issues, I'm currently working (but extremely slowly :-( at implementing Render Passes in YafaRay. Part of the changes will include (hopefully!) adding the passes and layers parameters in the Render Layers panel.

Harvester wrote:4) If the YafaRay render engine is currently selected the Import Images as Planes add-on doesn't work and no images are imported; to workaround this issue you have to switch back to the Blender Render engine, import the image as a plane, and then switch back to the YafaRay engine. There seems to be some sort of conflict between the two.

I will take a look at that.

Harvester wrote:I have one question about the scene's object data export process at rendering time: would it be possible to cache these data for subsequent rendering reuse, as it happens in Cycles with the BVH structure or in Luxrender? This would speed up the rendering export process a lot if YafaRay could avoid to re-export every time the entire scene instead of only the datablocks that have been changed from the previous data export.

Absolutely true. In fact, that's also part of another (also very slow) project where I will try to implement (if I can) some kind of realtime preview. However, as you point out, for such realtime preview to be practical, I would need to keep the current objects and only transfer the ones that change. That would be a major change and please consider I can only spend time in YafaRay at the end of my normal working day, so I have little time and energy left!

Very interesting points, I will take a look at some of those issues as soon as I can, but right now I'm quite busy working on fixing several rendering issues and implementing render passes. I'll add these to the "to-do" list.

Thanks again!
David Bluecame

Post Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Thanks David, I appreciate very much you replies and, please, take it easy, I do understand that you're donating your spare time to volunteer this project therefore there's no pressure on you. I will let you know if I'll found anything else that should be brought to your attention.
Harvester

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi! David !
I've tried to compile it for Mac Os from source code without success. I've read so many tutorials on the web! (I had problems with bpy on python: ImportError: No module named 'bpy'). I'm a noob in programing.
When you will have a little of your precious time please compile for Mac Os or tell me how is the process for obtain yafaray for Blender in Mac Os.
Thanks for you great effort, I know you're a busy man.
Sorry for my bad English. Thanks again in advance.
nescki

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Hello, nescki

I don't have a Mac, so I don't know how to compile YafaRay for MacOS. However Jens Verwiebe, another programmer, has compiled Yafa for Mac in the past.

The latest build he compiled for Mac is "Experimental v0.1.99-beta2" (which is not the latest one, for now the latest is beta4). In any case, you can download it from here:

https://github.com/DavidBluecame/Blender-Exporter/releases/download/v0.1.99-beta2/YAFARAY_0.1.99-beta2_addon_OSX_10.6_Intel_64bit.Build.by.Jens_Verwiebe.zip

I hope it works for you.
David Bluecame

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks David! I installed Windows 64bit on my old iMac using Bootcamp with the only purpose to use and test your YafaRay Experimental v0.1.99-beta4 (for Blender v2.75RC). It runs very fast!. I haven't had problems yet. I did several test with Blender files and played with materials, lights, render parameters. Thanks for bring us this revamped version.
I read somewhere, I don't remember, you are working in beta 5. Great work!
Best regards.
Nestor
nescki

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Hello,

Yes, I'm working on the new Experimental version, adding the Render Passes functionality. It's still not ready but if you want to see a video preview look here:
http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31217#p31217
David Bluecame

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

When will you release the final version?
kenanaybati

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Hello,

I estimate I will release the first version with Render Passes somewhere within the next 4 weeks (I hope!)
David Bluecame

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:13 am

Hello,
Just wanted to say a big thanks to David. Its been a long time that I've used Yafaray. With a new machine I am amazed how quick some renders are done :). Hope that I'll show some works soon.
Please continue this awesome work you are doing.
flagus

Return to Testing Builds