View topic - Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Lynx wrote:One again, there is nothing wrong and you do not have to edit any files!
yafray_config.h is automatically created. It is however not overwritten each time because (experienced) users may customize parts of it.
Just delete it and compile with proper command line options!

All i need to change is to write the prefix to a file that is overwritten with each compile, e.g. the yaf_revision.h

duh, alright ^^

thanks for the info :roll:
Rinne

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:23 am

Some suggestions and whishes, Lynx

1. In Blender is possible to configure a light source, an empty or a mesh as a camera. I use this feature to check light sources strength, but from the light source point of view. When this happens, yaf(a)ray can not render the image and in the text console there is a missage saying that camera is not configured, and the UI does not detect the object as a camera.

2. I know it has been said that yafray is not suitable for render passes. However, I think it would be good if YafRay could produce at least an indirect light pass, intended for users of Blender Internal, to be used in Blender Nodes, or for users that make compositing with yaf(a)ray passes, like Enrico Cerica.

3. When 'Clay Render' is activated, I see that yaf(a)ray loads textures and materials anyway, I wonder if that can be skipped, It would save a bit of time, wouldn't it?

4. I know you have taken a more radical approach with yaf(a)ray, but I would like to have an optional lambert/blinn (for instance) BRDF shader in yaf(a)ray, also to ease things down a bit for beginners.

5. At the moment, there is not a way to append yaf(a)ray materials, or render settings, from one scene to another. I know there is important things to do, but we should think about a solution for that in the next releases.
Samo

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Samo, i agree to your list, especially number five is very important.
Another important point IMHO is to fix the problem with producing white or black dots when using glossy or coated glossy material. I spend much time for every new scene with testrenders to avoid or reduce this dots.
quibodi

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:55 am

Samo wrote:Some suggestions and whishes, Lynx

1. In Blender is possible to configure a light source, an empty or a mesh as a camera. I use this feature to check light sources strength, but from the light source point of view. When this happens, yaf(a)ray can not render the image and in the text console there is a missage saying that camera is not configured, and the UI does not detect the object as a camera.

2. I know it has been said that yafray is not suitable for render passes. However, I think it would be good if YafRay could produce at least an indirect light pass, intended for users of Blender Internal, to be used in Blender Nodes, or for users that make compositing with yaf(a)ray passes, like Enrico Cerica.

3. When 'Clay Render' is activated, I see that yaf(a)ray loads textures and materials anyway, I wonder if that can be skipped, It would save a bit of time, wouldn't it?

4. I know you have taken a more radical approach with yaf(a)ray, but I would like to have an optional lambert/blinn (for instance) BRDF shader in yaf(a)ray, also to ease things down a bit for beginners.

5. At the moment, there is not a way to append yaf(a)ray materials, or render settings, from one scene to another. I know there is important things to do, but we should think about a solution for that in the next releases.

Hi, append yafaray materials is possible!!
What is your problem about this ?
thuleke

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:22 am

thuleke wrote:Hi, append yafaray materials is possible!!
What is your problem about this ?

Yes, you are right, it is possible indeed.
Samo

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:19 pm

Hey Thuleke, thanks for this hint. I couldnt imagine that the Material-Append works as simple as it does. :oops:
quibodi

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:52 am

I'm about to create some new builds soon, and would like to have some opinions on which source branch to choose...

My suggestions would be:
a) 2-44-stable: This branch contains only bugfixes and minor features over 2.44
b) trunk: current development, but most major projects have own branches, so still rather stable
c) imgbrowser-elubie branch: basically trunk with new image browser
d) suggest other branch

I'm not going to merge several branches, most others seem very unfinished anyway
Lynx

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:21 pm

imgbrowser-elubie branch: basically trunk with new image browser

I miss a lot this feature in blender, so I vote for this.
Samo

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:27 pm

As much as I'd like the imagebrowser version, I vote for det most stable version - if it crashes I'd like to be able to trace it to yafaray so I can send in a bugreport :)
Claws

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Claws: That's not really a convincing argument...i always use trunk myself for development, so it's likely that the exporter is more robust with that even. My main concern would be scene compatibility problems with older version, they might behave different in 2.44 (and other possible pre-2.50 releases) or in rare cases even not load correctly.

I think i'll go with the image browser branch, it's just much more fun looking for some suitable texture with it :D
We'll see if there's any stability problems with that...most bug-reports are wrong usage/expectancies anyway.
Lynx

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:28 pm

As long as the version with image browser is compatible with 2.44 files, it's a nice choice, I like that useful feature too. I had problems with the current version based on 2.43 loosing SSS settings when the file was initially made with 2.44.

When do you expect to release the new build ?

Thanks for your great job Lynx.
Enrico
enricocerica

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Just uploaded, would be nice if someone could test it a bit before i update the initial post.

> Yaf(a)Ray installer, SVN Revision 174 <

> Blender SVN, Revision 11145, image browser branch <

yaf(a)ray changes:
  • some changes to XML format (you'll have to update older XMLs), due to internal changes
  • new scene mode supports generic primitive interface. Only new type currently is sphere
  • improved photon mapping a bit, now can gathers caustic bounces, speedup on radiance map creation
  • bug fixes of course...

blender:
  • decided to go with Image Browser Branch because loading images with it is just pure joy...
  • export code updated to interface changes of course
  • added support for creating geometry for sphere lights.

python interface:
update coming soon...
Lynx

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Lynx wrote:Just uploaded, would be nice if someone could test it a bit before i update the initial post.

yaf(a)ray changes:
  • some changes to XML format (you'll have to update older XMLs), due to internal changes
  • new scene mode supports generic primitive interface. Only new type currently is sphere
  • improved photon mapping a bit, now can gathers caustic bounces, speedup on radiance map creation
  • bug fixes of course...

blender:
  • decided to go with Image Browser Branch because loading images with it is just pure joy...

python interface:
update coming soon...

Hi Lynx, first of all thanks so much for this new release.

I made some quick tests and I didn't noticed any problem for now. Everything is working fine, I loaded scenes created with the previous version and no problem at all. I started a new rendering for this night and will get the result tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will made tests to check if black/white dots are still there when using glossy materials. It seems that there is still a AA issue when using mesh lights, I'll check this too.

Great !
Enrico
enricocerica

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Lynx wrote:Just uploaded, would be nice if someone could test it a bit before i update the initial post.

yaf(a)ray changes:
  • bug fixes of course...

blender:

python interface:
update coming soon...

So far no problem with Linux in combination with the latest Blender CVS.

Best regards,
Martin
sandstorm

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks for the new release Lynx! 8)
afecelis

PreviousNext

Return to Testing Builds