View topic - Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

Post Tue May 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Is there going to be an update for the 2.44 version?
gat

Post Tue May 22, 2007 3:40 pm

ahem, *cough* bundled blender 2.44 + yaf(a)ray build for Linux *cough cough* ... or is there a patch? ..
Mein Freund der Baum ist tot, er starb im frühen Morgenrot.
mana

Post Wed May 23, 2007 3:52 pm

I have created a debian package (for all debian based systems, like ubuntu), that I can give absolutely NO guarantee to work! Even less, I don't think that it will work..

It's the first time I tried to create a debian package, and I guess I did a hella lot wrong!

What I can say for sure, is that there are no dependencies linked in it, so you have to make sure to have the neccesarry stuff!

The package first installed correctly (Ubuntu-Studio) for me, but at the end of the installation it puts out an error message. I don't know the reason, but it might be, because the same version is already installed on my system.

If it works, though, you will have a highly optimized Yaf(a)ray version to work with..

The build is specificially designed for athlon-xp, but it should work well on every 32bit system, or 64bit system in 32bit mode.

Of course there is also a Blender build, but I've put it into a simple 7z file, so installing it is unnecessary, simply unpack it.. The Yaf(a)ray Export Script is already placed in the .scripts folder, so it'll work right away.

Blender has all features BUT OpenAL turned on, and honestly I have no clue which dependencies it needs.

Blender has the same optimizations as Yaf(a)ray enabled.

here are the files, maybe give them a try, but do it at your own risk (I don't think you can do anything wrong with the Blender build, though)

http://home.arcor.de/rinne88/cg/Blender ... hlon-xp.7z
UPDATED:
http://home.arcor.de/rinne88/cg/Blender ... 0_i386.deb

Would be nice to have someone testing them, to get some feedback..
I'll definiately try packing some well working packages, but first I'll have to get into package building a bit more, but it might take some time until I get some time to do that.

After getting a good package out, I will of course also build optimized versions for other architectures and try to improve optimization even more..
Last edited by Rinne on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rinne

Post Wed May 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Hey Rinne this is more than generous! :D

I will carry your package on my USB-Stick home where i am offline :/. But as blender and yafray are installed there (ubuntu 7.04) it _should_ have all the dependencies. Though openAL might be a problem if it is not a dependency by default. I will check and report back in this thread if apropriate.

thanks ;)

Mana

p.s.: Or we open up a seperate thread for Linux packaging discussion, i'd let the mods decide :)
mana

Post Fri May 25, 2007 8:13 am

Sorry, my USB stick was killed by an urgent backup need :-(. So i cannot test your package this weekend. I will provide feedback later.
mana

Post Fri May 25, 2007 4:38 pm

any windows versions?
---
tom
StompinTom

Post Fri May 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Look at the initial post of this thread :). Or ask about a fresher build from SVN
mana

Post Tue May 29, 2007 11:18 am

Rinne i tried your package and didn't succed

Here is the german error output.
Code: Select all
mana@mana-desktop:/media/disk/christoph$ sudo dpkg --install yafaray_0.1.0-1_athlon-xp.deb
(Lese Datenbank ... 143041 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Entpacke yafaray (aus yafaray_0.1.0-1_athlon-xp.deb) ...
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von yafaray_0.1.0-1_athlon-xp.deb (--install):
Versuche, »/usr/bin/strip« zu überschreiben, welches auch in Paket binutils ist
dpkg-deb: Unterprozess paste mit Signal (Broken pipe) getötet
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
yafaray_0.1.0-1_athlon-xp.deb

It translates to "Trying to overwrite /usr/bin/strip which is provided by binutils as well."

I looked into the deb-archive and found alot of things but not blender. I thought this package would provide a patched blender with new (python?) yafaray interface. Can you clearify what the package contains and maybe hunt this installation bug? :D. I think many people would appreciate a LSB packet. Could be easier to build and debug as well.

many greets.
Mana
mana

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Sorry for that non-working package...

I didn't build a package for Blender, yet, as it is more complicated to create than the yafaray package!
In my post with the downloads I have posted two links, one is a 7z file and the other one a deb package. The 7z file is Blender, that you must simply unpack and it will then work out of the directory!

Meanwhile I have updated the yafaray package.
It works for me, now I hope it will for you, as well!

Get them from my earlier post (link is updated!)

Regards
Rinne

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:55 pm

How did you create the package?
I recently found out it's really simple to create a (debian)-package with checkinstall, with "sudo checkinstall scons install" however it only works after doing a regular "scons install", not sure why, i thought it was the purpose to *not* have to install files directly...
It doesn't contain any dependency-information though unless you add them manually. Oh and don't forget to configure ldconfig to search in /usr/local/lib and update cache!

If someone has use for a Feisty x86_64 package, i can upload it (compiled with gcc 4.2.0!)
Same for blender archive but i am not going to spend my time trouble shooting for people not using Feisty...it really IS NOT THAT HARD TO COMPILE, at least easier than trying to install a .deb on an RPM based distro and try to fix the dependencies with different version of the required libs... ;)
Lynx

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:43 pm

the approach with checkinstall was my first attempt, but I found it far too ugly, and you saw it didn't work..

this time I have used this tutorial to properly create the package:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Debia ... ing-HOWTO/

the package doesn't yet contain a post install and pre install script, so no library paths are set.
That shouldn't be a problem though if you already have yafray installed, because it is set to replace the regular yafray package. (I hope it really does, else we could get problems :P )

I have already downloaded the regular blender and yafray packages and will dig a bit deeper into them, hopefully already tomorrow.
But as I already said, Blender is FAR more complicated to set up than yafaray, and I will first try to get a completely working yafaray package (with uninstaller, library paths, etc.), before I start working on Blender.
So far the Blender archive that is delivered should be enough.

I won't get bored, though, as I need to improve my programming skills, anyways, I might do a little standalone interface for yafaray afterwards, no promises, though!

Rinne

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Wait, there's no reason to replace YafRay 0.0.9 (or earlier), all file names were chosen so they do not conflict.
Also, don't the ubuntu packages install to /usr rather than /usr/local? Or did you build with prefix='/usr'? Then you don't need to change the configuration anyway...
Lynx

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:26 am

Lynx wrote: ...
If someone has use for a Feisty x86_64 package, i can upload it (compiled with gcc 4.2.0!)
Same for blender archive but i am not going to spend my time trouble shooting for people not using Feisty...

Yep i am all willing and I use feisty :D. Oh wait, it wont work with a 32-bit kernel eh? then i will have to change that or compile myself :-/ What do you mean with "blender archive"? A tared blender binary with libs?

Rinne i will try out your updated Build as well. It would be cool if Lynx could concentrate on developing yaf(a)ray while others prepare the packaging ;)

thank you guys :o)
mana

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:03 pm

UPDATE:
new package, this one should be final, as it is very similar to the yafray package.
It does no more replace Yafray and does now use correct paths and dependencies.
Also it contains a copyright file and a changelog.

Next thing will be a Blender package with Yaf(a)ray exporter, but this might really take a while, although I will still stick to the original packages.
Rinne

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:38 pm

how is the progress on yaf(a)ray Lynx? are still working on it?
gat

PreviousNext

Return to Testing Builds