View topic - Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Yaf(a)Ray, on the way to release candidates

Users-contributed CVS development builds. Post here your questions about compiling the source code.

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:48 am

well I hope that this will continue to be productive in some areas at least.

I could life with a exporter script only.

I am doing mainly stills anyway and for animation I would use something fast which than would be BI in that case.
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator
cekuhnen

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:35 am

Yaroslav_L wrote:How to use this patch?
Like I see - this is pease of code - where we must ... paste it?
Sorry - am not coder.

you have to move the patch to blender-x.xx/source/blender/yafray
then: patch -p0 <yafaray_blender_export.patch
exactly as above

it should say:
Code: Select all
patching file intern/yafray_Render.h
patching file intern/export_Plugin.cpp
patching file intern/export_yafaray.h
patching file intern/export_Plugin.h
patching file intern/api.cpp
patching file intern/yafray_Render.cpp
patching file intern/export_yafaray.cpp
muody

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:32 pm

This is for Linux (what Linux), Mac Intel or MF Windozza?
Yaroslav_L

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Yaroslav_L wrote:This is for Linux (what Linux), Mac Intel or MF Windozza?

Both the patch and the GUI are platform independent and should work.

In fact the patch is now obsolete, it was already commited to the svn, so just svn up there and you'll get yafaray working again.
Boiko

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:16 pm

With the latest 201 revision I got compiling errors with Linux. Could other people run through without errors?

src/yafraycore/object3d.cc: In member function »virtual int yafray::triangleObject_t::evalVMap(const yafray::surfacePoint_t&, unsigned int, float*) const«:
src/yafraycore/object3d.cc:51: Fehler: »alloca« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
scons: *** [build/yafraycore/object3d.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Best regards,
Martin
sandstorm

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Has anyone else noticed the new volumetric light scattering in the new builds? I don't have any pics with me at the moment, but you can make very nice smoke effects with 3D texture (at the moment the texture has to be called "mytex" or yafaray crashes).
gh81

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 pm

gh81 wrote:Has anyone else noticed the new volumetric light scattering in the new builds? I don't have any pics with me at the moment, but you can make very nice smoke effects with 3D texture (at the moment the texture has to be called "mytex" or yafaray crashes).

well DO show us :)
Claws

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 pm

Where can i get the new builds??? I need a windows-build.
quibodi

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:20 pm

quibodi wrote:Where can i get the new builds??? I need a windows-build.

Unfortunatelly we don't have any new builds yet.

We hope to be able to provide them soon, but we can't really say when.
Boiko

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:34 am

But what about those volumetric lights? Are they available?
mookie

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:47 pm

The volumetric stuff is in the current SVN. Maybe a short guide:

First choose the single scatter integrator at the "Render" tab. Choose a step size, don't make it too small, or your renders will take forever, too big means too small resolution for small details.

Second, add a box to the scene, go to the "Object" tab. Make it a volume there and play around with the sigma values, leave emission and g at 0. Only use noise and uniform volume with current SVN, with the next commit, some more will be useful. The box will contain your volume (the medium, which will become visible if you direct a light at it). Use sigma_s for scattering (clouds, steam, fog) and sigma_a for pure absorption (like dark smoke).

If you use the noise volume, you must have a texture with the name "mytex" (NOT the material but the texture, so it must read on the texture tab TE:mytex). This will be changed in the future, it's a quick hack.

Then add a light source, which sees your box. Rendering now should give you something visible. Best to use for now with "Direct rendering", the other integrators might still lack quite some integration).

The next commit will add a significant amount of speed optimization, so don't worry, if it's still slow atm.

Bert

PS: This is a render of a noise volume, the background is the sunsky (ignore the black artifacts on the spheres, they have nothing to do with the volume).

bert_b

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Woah, bert_b, looks great already! Thanks for the guide. I just did a compile of current svn and played with the volume stuff, very impressive (although I didn't manage to get something as showable as your image yet).

I always wished for something like fog/athmosphere for landscapes, and this looks very promising. I'm looking forward to the next updates.

Thank you!
Sanne

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:22 pm

That truly looks amazing Bert_b! :shock:

Guys, ever since Ubuntu hardy 8.04 was released (system updated automatically) Yafaray stopped working because of this error:
error while loading shared libraries: libgettextlib-0.16.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Though the library is there, they recommend to compile the packages using the newest version of the library instead of creating a symlink to trick the system to think it has it, they say this may cause instability of the system.

Could the deb packages be recompiled for Ubuntu 8.04? Version 196 is already very good to work with.

Regards,
ALvaro
afecelis

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:42 am

sandstorm wrote:With the latest 201 revision I got compiling errors with Linux. Could other people run through without errors?

src/yafraycore/object3d.cc: In member function »virtual int yafray::triangleObject_t::evalVMap(const yafray::surfacePoint_t&, unsigned int, float*) const«:
src/yafraycore/object3d.cc:51: Fehler: »alloca« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
scons: *** [build/yafraycore/object3d.os] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Best regards,
Martin

I guess you're using GCC 4.3. I got the same errors, for a temporary workaround put this into your yafray_config.h (from gcc 4.3 all headers should be explicitly defined - the devs should fix this, I'm not a programmer thats why this brutal workaround :oops: )
#include <alloca.h>
#include <cstring>
#include <cstdlib>

regards,
Lempour

PS this and the cited post fit better into the developer forum
Lempour

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:09 am

I finally found time to upload the picture I mentioned. This is using coloured lights to get the coloured smoke effect, but does anyone know if there is or will be a way to use the volume object's material to specify the colour? Also, this is using the "single step" integrator - what does the sky integrator do?

gh81

PreviousNext

Return to Testing Builds