View topic - Activity #3: Depot

Activity #3: Depot

Previous contests and challenges held in the YafaRay Site.

Activity #3: Depot

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:20 pm

This is the first Challenge of this 07-08 season. It is based on a work I've been working for quite a while. Some time ago I found an image that had a rich complexity of lighting effects and at the same time some poetic features (well at least in my opinion). It is the image you have on the right. Unfortunatelly blueprints of that british locomotive can not be found, so I modelled another locomotive instead, which is a locomotive from the famous GM-EMD's F-unit series. More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_F-unit

The goal of this challenge is texturing and lighting the Blender scene provided. The real photo is only a reference, you can try to reproduce that lighting & reflections scheme, or you can follow your own path. The only thing we would like from the contestans is a bit of honest hard work. The scene can be downloaded from here:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=6Q20ZQ7W
Mirror:
http://www.zshare.net/download/4038682c7c6d08/

You can modify some objects in the scene and add new elements, but the camera view should stay.

Another interesting aspect of this work is that you have a lot of locomotive paint schemes to choose from for this challenge, or you can also invent your own scheme. In this challenge, texturing is a very important ingredient to achieve a great result. Locomotives and depots equal to dirty. Good luck with your entry. I hope you like this challenge.
Last edited by Samo on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Samo

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:07 pm

I will do my best =]
Asher

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Hello, here is my first try.

I know the camera must be the one from the original file, and it will be :)
This is just a first try using yaf(a)ray.
I noticed some objects are instances, and thats not supported yet in yaf(a)ray, atleast its not rendering here, so i need to copy the objects.
As soon as i get new renders i will post here.
slipknot66

Grand yafray challenge

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Hello

It's my first test for the grand challenge.
Just with pathtracing and 1 depth.
Doraemon

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:30 pm

hey, thanks for participating. I'm working on this scene too. This is my progress so far:

Samo

Grand challenge

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:12 pm

It's a great challenge on top of that it's a opportunity for make a material library for yafaray.
Your uv mapping is better than mine :shock: but the challenge is not finished. :x :D :D
Doraemon

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:13 pm

.. and a great chance (and motivation :) ) to learn proper YafRay technique.
I'm going to give it a shot too. BTW, when is the deadline for presenting the images?
. bite . the . bullet .
Antichrome

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:59 pm

Antichrome wrote:.. and a great chance (and motivation :) ) to learn proper YafRay technique.
I'm going to give it a shot too. BTW, when is the deadline for presenting the images?

There is not deadline, people can participate and post their works anytime they want.
Samo

Return to Past Contests and Challenges