View topic - Activity #1: Studio lighting of a Car

Activity #1: Studio lighting of a Car

Previous contests and challenges held in the YafaRay Site.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:14 pm

stoneage wrote:The large slim cubes are meshlights.

If the light is only meant to go into one direction, then cubes are not advisable, because you will have many samples on the "back" etc. where you actually don't want to have light. And losing samples means more noise.

Try replacing the cubes by planes, do NOT check "double sided" and face them correctly into your scene (normal is the front). You should see less noise at the same amount of samples or same amount of noise with less samples thus reducing the render time.
bert_b

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Nice.

Thank you!
stoneage

Re: Activity #1: Studio lighting of a Car

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:18 pm

I forgot to post this a while ago. It is the final version - a wallpaper made for a friend:-

I know the lighting doesn't look natural, but it is meant to look like a studio shot.
stoneage

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:08 am

That's a nice render, Stoneage.

Can you tell us a bit about your settings and lighting setup? thanks in advance :D
Samo

Post Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Samo wrote:That's a nice render, Stoneage.

Can you tell us a bit about your settings and lighting setup? thanks in advance :D

Of course. That was the original point of the thread after all. :D

I used a combination of HDRI and meshlights. Here is the set up:-
Screenshot-4.png

One area light, six meshlights, one sun light.

It was rendered with Photon Mapping, which is, I admit not a great choice for this type of scene. Many photons will bounce off the car or ground and fly off without striking another surface, and so will play no further part in the lighting calculation. Some photons will bounce under the car and use the rest of their bounces between the car underside and the ground, giving the erroneous impression there is a light source under there(there is a hint of this still showing on the ground behind the front wheel - a slightly greenish glow).

When the render was about two-thirds done I realised I had neglected to enable the layer with the meshlights on it. :oops: This actually turned out to be a useful error. Once the render was done I re-rendered the scene with just the meshlights. I left the HDRI for reflections, but this time it was not enabled as a light source.

This gave me two images - one for each lighting method which I could composite together using 'Add' and allowed me more control over how much each lighting method contributed to the final image. (If I wanted less HDRI lighting I simply reduced the amount it contributed to the composite, and vice versa.)

I then made another render using clay materials with just AO. I composited this with the other two using 'Multiply' and the effect of this was to deepen the shadows which were affected by the Photons bouncing under the car.

After that it was just a question of making some minor adjustments to colour temperature, contrast and levels before adding the border and a little shadow painting under the front spoiler.

The composite and post processing was all done with Gimp.

The car paint materials are each a blend:-
Screenshot-6.png
Screenshot-7.png

The noise from the anisotropic gives a hint of a metallic paint effect.

So, all in all not the best or fastest way to render cars, but heh, life is for experimenting....
stoneage

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Very nice render Stoneage :D
I think the tires are too rectangular and the floor should have an asphalt texture :idea: This could add some realism to your render.
The car is really well modelled :shock:
I'm french. Excuse me if my english is not good.
http://www.vertex-polygon.com
http://www.facebook.com/vertex.polygon
tchap

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:33 pm

tchap wrote:Very nice render Stoneage :D
I think the tires are too rectangular and the floor should have an asphalt texture :idea: This could add some realism to your render.
The car is really well modelled :shock:

Thanks.

I didn't model any part of the car(except the front grill). There is a download link in post #1, the thread is only about rendering and lighting.
Good point about the floor though, but as it takes an age to render the scene the way it is set up I am going to leave it as it is. I made this render only because a friend asked for the image as a desktop wallpaper, but thanks for the feedback, opinions and suggestions are always helpful.
stoneage

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the explanation, very interesting. :)
is it the DOF effect made with YafaRay?

I'm also with you, metalic and car paint are sometimes best done with a blend of different reflective 'specimens', it is the best way to avoid the 'plastic' look on a metalic surface.
Samo

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Samo wrote:Thanks for the explanation, very interesting. :)
is it the DOF effect made with YafaRay?

I'm also with you, metalic and car paint are sometimes best done with a blend of different reflective 'specimens', it is the best way to avoid the 'plastic' look on a metalic surface.

Yes, the DOF is Yafaray:-
Aperture size 0.015
DOF distance 4
disk 1
Uniform Bokeh bias

With the blend materials I was looking for a way to gain more variability and control over the specularity and reflectivity of the paint material. I thought if I made one material each for spec. and diffuse, I could then combine them to give the impression of more depth. Gaining expertise with materials can be very rewarding, there must be many different effects possible by combining them.
stoneage

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Stoneage, could you post the passes please?
Samo

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Sure thing.
This is just the meshlights:-
meshlights.png

This is the main lights:-
mainlights.png

The Ambient Occlusion pass with clay materials :-
ao.png

I used the pass with just the meshlights as the base and added the main lights pass in Gimp on a separate layer set to Addition at about 90%, which gave this result:-
mainandmesh.png

Then I added the AO pass, again on a separate layer, this time set to Multiply and again at around 90%:-
mainandmeshandao.png

I felt the image was too 'cold', so I altered the contrast and colour temperature(Gimp's colour temperature plugin is a wonderful thing - http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/709) to give the final result:-
SophieVeyron-01-comp-final-01.png

I experimented a little with tonemapping the .exr files in qtpfsgui, but not having much expertise there, in the end I decided it would be quicker and easier to alter the contrast with Gimp.

Rendering each light set in a separate pass is a really nice way of giving yourself the option of altering the lighting after the render is complete. It also means that if you later decide you want to add another light you don't have to re-render the whole thing, you can just render a pass lit with only the lighting you want to add, then composite that image in with the others by adding it on a new layer, set to Addition, then adjust the opacity of the layer to your liking. If you later feel you want to change things again there is no need to re-render, you can make the changes in Gimp or Photoshop by adjusting how much each lighting layer adds to the final image. It is also great for experimenting with different lighting set-ups before making the final render.
stoneage

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Hey stoneage, thank you very much for your explanations!
animelix

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:58 am

Hello everyone.
This is my try with Ferrari Enzo (kind of late :) ).
Yafaray 471 DTBranch win32. Photon mapping
post-production Ps.
C&C are welcomed.
Attachments
ferrari1_test copy.jpg
ferrari2_test copy.jpg
integer out of range
tzocrates

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:13 am

Tzocrates, very cool renders, particularly the second one. What a way to use reflections to enhance your work.
Samo

Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:27 pm

tzocrates, nice work! Would you please share any settings (lights, enviornment), and hopefully the car paint mat?
troyd

PreviousNext

Return to Past Contests and Challenges