View topic - Activity #2: Scene for a materials library

Activity #2: Scene for a materials library

Previous contests and challenges held in the YafaRay Site.

Activity #2: Scene for a materials library

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm not being that original here, but since I keep seeing people asking about how to make this or that material with Yafray and I have the same problem too, I think it is a good idea to set up a little YafRay materials library, just a dozen primary materials or so for starting.

I have modelled a default scene for that library, but I think that is better if people can get involved in making that default scene and deciding which one is the best. So the contest is only about getting that default scene.

My idea is to post everyone's file: you can propose a new model or/and improve someone's else, propose other lighting setups for the scene apart from what is already proposed, better views, other wall&floor textures, etc.

The idea is obviously taken from Maxwell Materials Exchange Point. They made their scene based on some wise principles, it is recommendable to read these principles if you want to participate:
http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/instructions.php

Anyway, a maxwell scene ripoff is not really necessary, we could introduce new factors in our scenes and try to be a bit original. For instance, in my scene I've included a concave surface which is shadowed by the main ball to see what are the material properties under those circumstances. I think that it is also important to keep the scene relatively easy.

This is my scene. I've included textures, the Inkscape sourcefile for the wall checkers, the yafray logo and of course the Blend file.
http://www.zshare.net/download/yafstandardmatscene-zip.html (unpack the Blender file)

PD: Crossposted in Blenderartist and YafRay forums, we'll choose the winner from both. I'll keep the contest going for a week, if there are a lot of feedback, the contest would last longer.
Last edited by Samo on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samo

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:24 pm

This is a GREAT idea! I hope it really takes off.

I don't have a scene to post yet, but I have some logistics questions...
How will people be submitting materials? Not being familiar with blender, does it export "material" files? Will you accept YafRay xml?

Would it be possible to get the winning scene (and yours Samo, unless they are the same 8) ) in xml?
avariant

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:22 pm

avariant wrote:This is a GREAT idea! I hope it really takes off.

I don't have a scene to post yet, but I have some logistics questions...
How will people be submitting materials? Not being familiar with blender, does it export "material" files? Will you accept YafRay xml?

Would it be possible to get the winning scene (and yours Samo, unless they are the same 8) ) in xml?

The contest is only about the default scene we'll made the materials with.

When the contest is finished, I think that the materials should be sumitted to a forum thread, using everyone's own resources and free hosting too. Kiss system. Collaborative and Self-maintained way. We lack resources and personnel for anything more than that IMO unless someone comes up with a better solution.

Blender does not support material files AFAIK, although yafray can call external materials files in MAT format (look for Crafter in the resources thread for more info)

PD: Blender can append materials from other Blend files though.

Off course XML and Wings files are accepted, although it should be in a format everyone can profit from (Blender and Wings can't 'read' XML scenes)

You are right, that scene should be Wings format too. I'm going to prepare a Wings3D version the coming hours. This is my scene in XML format (you will have to edit the texture and output paths):
http://www.zshare.net/download/xmldefaultscene-zip.html
Last edited by Samo on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samo

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Well nice initiative, I've made a quick one:

http://www.zshare.net/download/yafray-b ... l-rar.html

Brushed metal is always good to have - haven't the time for anything else right, but im looking forward to other submissions :)

Claws

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:09 pm

I think this thread is for submission of models to use for demoing the materials. The actual materials will be in a thread later.

But your brushed metal rocks, Claws. I'm sure it'll make the cut! :D
avariant

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:59 pm

ah avariant you're right, didn't read it carefully enough :roll:

But really; what wrong with this scene. I think it's fine this way :)
Claws

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 pm

well, don't worry, it is fine (interesting material), besides you have indroduces changes in the file presentation and render settings that I'm going to include in my scene. I'm improving a bit my own scene.
- I have resized the yafray logo and added 'yafray' text in the lower gray piece. There are more text distributed in each quadrant, to be seen in case of a transparent or translucent materials.
- I have changed the view.
- I have changed the scene render settings

http://www.zshare.net/download/standard ... 8-rar.html

PD: Claws, I've seen that you have included a CC license in your file. I believe that the materials should be 'free domain', anyway looking forward for your comments on that.
Last edited by Samo on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Samo

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 am

Great approach. This is what we need. I think this material library should be included on the YAFRAY homepage.

Best regards,
Martin
sandstorm

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm

Well nice update to the scene - I didn't really think about changing the setting, I guessed that people would grab the material with a " Shift-F1 " anyways :)

About the license; well you decide, I just added it by habit :)
Claws

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Here's my submission for a test model.
It's simple, has curved surfaces, flat surfaces, primary on secondary surface radiosity and reflection, primary on primary surface radiosity and reflection.

Still, I'm probably voting for Samo's. I just didn't want his to be the only submission! 8)

ImageImage

Oh, yeah, I "borrowed" your scene and cube Samo. Hope that's ok :wink:

http://www.zshare.net/download/materialtest-zip.html
avariant

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:24 pm

That's for participating Avariant. :D

I keep working on my scene:
- The modelling has been changed a bit, now the upper and lower parts are conected.
- I've added the text 'black 50%'
- Changed floor texture and models scale. Every square equals to 0,20 Blender units.
- Changed GI paramenters according to the new scale, and lighting is now a bit more powerful.

http://www.zshare.net/download/thescene10-rar.html
(REMEMBER THAT YAFRAY NEEDS UNPACKED TEXTURES TO LOAD THEM)

Samo

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:25 am

It is getting better and better now. Two improvements I would like to propose:

- The upper and lower "cut-out" should be connected
- The camera should be lower to see more of the room

If I would have time I would model it to show, but I just to leave for weekend holiday. :mrgreen:

Martin
sandstorm

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:48 pm

It makes some very long for render thoses shaders !!
but interesting too :)
FX Technical Director
http://Adrien.3dvf.net
Adrien

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:10 am

the scenes are being posted in case you want to propose something different, in other words, to participate...
Samo

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:59 pm

For sure I will after this weekend! 8)

Martin
sandstorm

Next

Return to Past Contests and Challenges